Alexander Anichkin specialises in tax, customs, financial regulation and structured products issues.
Alexander has significant experience in tax and civil litigation, currency and customs regulation, as well as advising on complex Russian and international taxation matters affecting activities of both foreign investors and domestic Russian companies.
- Advising Citibank on tax, legal and regulatory matters of its acquisition of custody business from ING Group in Russia
- Advising Deutsche Bank AG London on tax efficient structuring of RUB7.5 billion bridge financing to a leading Russian consumer finance company
- Advising The Bank of New York in US$22.5 billion litigation against Russian Federal Custom Service
- Advising BNP Paribas Personal Finance on a JV with Sberbank in respect of a POS (Point of Sale) finance bank operating in Russia under the Cetelem brand
- Advising VTB Arena Park on tax issues relating to reconstruction of Dinamo stadium in Moscow and construction of the multifunctional complex in the surrounding area
- Advising Sberbank on tax aspects of the establishment of the first-ever Russian depositary receipts (RDR) programme in Russia by UC RUSAL.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance, Moscow 1999
- Partner since 2012
Awards and citations
- "We primarily work with Alexander Anichkin. Alexander and his team are among the few who can translate Russia’s tax complexities into practical advice. This is extremely valuable."
Legal 500, 2021