Paul Van den Abeele co-heads the Investment Funds practice of Clifford Chance’s Luxembourg office. He specialises in international fund structuring, focussing on alternative strategies.
Paul advises financial institutions, investment firms and asset managers across Europe, the US and Asia in relation to legal and regulatory matters of the structuring, implementation, management and servicing of investment funds, with a particular emphasis on real estate, private equity, infrastructure and debt funds. Paul also has buy-side experience, advising institutional and sovereign investors with regard to fund reviews, as well as experience on cross-practice matters involving fund industry M&A transactions and leveraged finance.
News and client work
- Funds: The Twilight Years and Troubled Waters - Part one
20 October 2020
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- University of Leuven (KULeuven), Belgium (Master of Laws, Cum Laude) 2006
- Admittted as an avocat in Brussels 2007
- Principal Luxembourg desk, DLA Piper Brussels 2009
- Consultant, Investor advisory firm Brussels 2010
- University of Brussels (VUB), Belgium (Postgraduate degree in estate planning) 2011
- Admitted as avocat in Luxembourg 2011
- Rejoined Clifford Chance 2011
- Partner since 2014
- ALFI (Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry), member of Private Equity and Venture Capital and Strategy & Hot Topic committees and of REIF Publications Working Group
- EFAMA (European Fund and Asset Management Association), Associate Member representative
Awards and citations
- Paul Van den Abeele is praised by a source for his "really strong understanding of the regulatory framework," also highlighting his "service-oriented approach." He has experience advising domestic and international investors on the set-up and structuring of funds, and advises on UCITS, RAIF and SICAR mandates.
Chambers Europe 2019 Investment Funds Luxembourg
- Named as one of “the 30 most influential private equity lawyers under 40” worldwide.
Private Funds Management, October 2015