William Glaister is Head of Clifford Chance's Global Asset Finance Group specialising in advising financiers, lessors and operators on all aspects of big ticket asset finance.
- Advised General Electric Company (GE) on the combination of GECAS and AerCap. The combined company will be one of aviation leasing’s leading franchise with a balance sheet of more than $70 billion, bringing together complementary portfolios across aircraft, engines and helicopters; Overall Deal of the Year (& M&A Deal of the Year), Airline Economics’ Global Aviation 100 Deal of the Year Awards 2022; M&A Deal of the Year, Airfinance Journal’s Deal of the Year Awards 2022; Best Lessor Deal, Ishka’s Deal of the Year Awards 2022.
- Advised over forty lessors, finance lessors, MROs and financiers, being creditors in respect of the restructuring of Malaysian Airlines Berhad debts under a UK scheme of arrangement. The transaction was market leading as the first use of a Part 26 Scheme by a foreign airline; Restructuring Deal of the Year, Airline Economics Global 100 Deal of the Year Awards 2022 and Ishka’s Deal of the Year Awards 2022.
- Advised Nordic Aviation Capital (NAC), the world’s largest regional aircraft lessor, on the successful scheme of arrangement and Chapter 11 case in respect of approximately $6bn of its secured and unsecured debt. The restructuring, was implemented through a pre-arranged Chapter 11 process in the U.S. bankruptcy court, with the various different secured debt facilities having selected from a range of different treatments, including a partial debt for equity swap, a number of other bespoke reinstated debt options and a consensual exit from the NAC group.
- Advised the Balthazar Underwriting Committee on a Balthazar-supported senior financing by KfW IPEX-Bank as part of the sale and leaseback of 1 Airbus A350-900 aircraft between Singapore Airlines and Crianza Aviation, a Korean aircraft lessor; Supported Finance Deal of the Year (& Sustainability Lease Deal of the Year), Airline Economics’ Global Aviation 100 Deal of the Year Awards 2022; Guaranteed Financing Deal of the Year, Airfinance Journal’s Deal of the Year Awards 2022
View all news and client work featuring William Glaister
Career and qualifications
University College, London (BA, History) 1989
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Secondment to Clifford Chance Hong Kong office 1998
- Partner since 2000
Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
Awards and citations
- Hailed as "a pre-eminent English aviation finance lawyer" by clients, William Glaister heads the firm's global asset finance group and enjoys a stellar reputation in the market. The London-based lawyer is also noted for his expertise in cross-border matters. A further source claims:"William Glaister remains one of the leading aircraft financing lawyers. He is commercially minded, tactically astute, practical and highly effective."
Asset Finance – Global Market Leaders, Chambers 2022