William Glaister is Head of Clifford Chance's Global Asset Finance Group specialising in advising financiers, lessors and operators on all aspects of big ticket asset finance.
- Advised Nordic Aviation Capital in connection with the sale of a majority stake to EQT VI and the purchase by NAC of Aldus Aviation and Jetscape
M&A Deal of the Year 2015, Airfinance Journal; Aircraft Lessor M&A Deal of the Year – Europe 2015, Global Transport Finance; M&A Deal of the Year 2015, Airline Economics
- Advised DVB and KKR on the acquisition and financing of a portfolio of 37 aircraft from AerCap
- Advised GE Capital Aviation Services Limited on the sale of a portfolio of 45 aircraft to Avolon. The portfolio was a mixture of aircraft types, on lease to 29 airlines in 15 different countries
- Advised Goldman Sachs International in connection with the arranging of a USD$583 million loan facility for Dragon Aviation from a Luxembourg SPV to certain subsidiaries of ICBC Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
Asia Pacific Deal of the Year 2014, Airfinance Journal; Aircraft Lessor Debt Deal of the Year – Asia 2014, Global Transport Finance; Asia Pacific Deal of the Year 2014, Airline Economics
- Advised the Joint Structuring Agents, the Joint Lead Managers and the Delegate on the issuance of Emirates Airlines ground-breaking sukuk, in the principal amount of USD$913,026,000 with a tenor of 10 years, which marks the world’s first sukuk financing supported by ECGD and the largest ever capital markets offering in the aviation space with an Export Credit Agency guarantee. The transaction also represents the first time that a sukuk has been used to pre-fund the acquisition of aircraft
Career and qualifications
University College, London (BA, History) 1989
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Secondment to Clifford Chance Hong Kong office 1998
- Partner since 2000
Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
Awards and citations
- Named as a 'Star Individual' for Asset Finance: Aviation Finance
Chambers UK 2014
- "Respected throughout the marketplace for his truly exceptional aviation finance practice"
Chambers UK 2014
- Leading the global asset finance practice is the renowned William Glaister. Sources describe him as "a famous name - and also a great negotiator."
Asset Finance, Chambers Global 2013
- William Glaister receives praise from clients and peers alike for his outstanding aviation finance practice, and is also active on the shipping finance side. One source describes him as "a pragmatic lawyer who gets things done but is also great to work with."
Asset Finance, Chambers UK 2013