Toby is a Partner in the Corporate practice in London, specialising in advising financial investors on domestic and cross-border M&A, with a particular focus on infrastructure transactions. Toby has represented financial investors through all stages of the investment cycle across a range of infrastructure sectors, including highly regulated transactions.
Toby rejoined the firm in 2019 from OMERS Infrastructure (formerly Borealis Infrastructure) having spent over 3 years working as a Director, Legal in the London office. In his role he provided legal advice and support to the transaction team in relation to new investment opportunities, third party capital raisings and the management of existing assets across Europe. These have included: Thames Water, Scotia Gas Networks, MapleCo, London City Airport, CLH and Tank & Rast.
Toby is listed as one to watch in The Lawyer Hot 100 2019 and previously was a member of the board of MapleCo, a leading independent Meter Asset Provider in the UK.
- Arcus Infrastructure and The José de Mello Group on the joint sale of a combined 81.1% stake in Brisa Auto-Estradas de Portugal S.A.
- Arcus Infrastructure on the sale of its 41.1% interest in Alpha Trains
- Asterion Infrastructure, EDF Invest and Swiss Life Asset Managers on the acquisition of Energy Assets Group
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Hermes on their acquisition of a 40% stake in Associated British Ports
- IFM Investors on its partnership with Trafigura Group Pte to form a new renewables JV, Nala Renewables
- Infracapital/Energetics on their acquisition of 65% stake in UK Power Solutions (UKPS)
- Infracapital and AMP Capital on the sale of Adven
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets and Allianz Capital Partners on the sale of Elenia Heat
- OMERS Infrastructure on the establishment of MapleCo, a leading independent Meter Asset Provider in the UK
- OMERS Infrastructure on its acquisition of a 26% interest in Kemble Water Holdings Limited, the ultimate holding company of Thames Water Utilities Limited
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan on the sale of its 40% interest in Koole Terminals
- 3i Infrastructure and AMP Capital on their acquisition of ESVAGT from Maersk Group
- 3i Infrastructure on its acquisition of Wireless Infrastructure Group
- 3i Infrastructure on its acquisition of a 45% equity interest in three subsidiaries of Oiltanking GmbH
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance as a trainee solicitor 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2008
- Director, Legal, OMERS Infrastructure 2016
- Rejoined as a Partner in July 2019