Simon Davis has more than 35 years of experience in resolving a wide range of commercial and regulatory disputes, frequently with an international element.
Simon resolves the problems of a range of corporates and financial institutions, whether they be internal, involving directors and shareholders, or external, with regulators or trading partners.
- Simon investigated the FCA in relation to its briefing of The Telegraph newspaper on the intentions for certain insurance products ("the Davis Review").
- He is also a trusted adviser at Board level to substantial financial institutions and corporates relating to contentious regulatory and enforcement issues.
Career and qualifications
- Magdalen College, University of Oxford (MA) 1981
- Joined Clifford Chance 1982
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1984
- Partner since 1994
- President of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Former President of the London Solicitors Litigation Association
- Committee member of the City of London Law Society
- Member of the Court of Appeal Mediation Panel
- Accredited CEDR mediator
Awards and citations
- Simon Davis is adept in representing financial clients in major commercial and regulatory disputes, often with an international element. Sources comment: "He's a fantastic lawyer. For regulatory matters and enquiries he's really excellent and very highly regarded."
The "outstanding" Simon Davis focuses on contentious work and is a highly respected senior figure in the financial services market. He frequently works with large institutions such as investment banks on their internal investigations.
Chambers UK 2019
- The "phenomenal" Simon Davis brings over three decades of experience to bear for clients in high-profile disputes work, offering outstanding strengths in international litigation and investigations. Clients say: "He's a very impressive and extremely bright guy. He's able to see the big picture and also retain the detail." He leads the commercial litigation group in the London office.
Chambers Global 2018
- The widely respected Simon Davis continues to offer clients the benefit of his considerable expertise in contentious matters in the banking and broader financial services space. Sources consider him to be a "very impressive" practitioner.
Chambers UK 2018
- Simon Davis leads the team and has decades of litigation experience. One commentator says: "He has the gravitas that comes with his position, but what I love is that no matter how senior he is, he is in the detail of the case and gives the client confidence."
Chambers Global 2017
- "Calming authority" Simon Davis heads the firm's commercial litigation group in London and offers clients deep experience in contentious banking matters, both domestically and internationally. "He is a lovely guy and extremely charming," sources say, also describing him as "very senior and urbane." He has several decades of experience in handling complex financial disputes and regulatory investigations, frequently with a cross-border element.
The "fantastic" Simon Davis was recently appointed by the FCA to conduct an independent investigation into the organisation's own handling of the announcement of proposed supervisory work on the treatment of life insurance customers. Sources praise him as a "great tactician" who is "very highly respected in the market."
Chambers UK 2017
- Simon Davis is "one of the leading lights at Clifford Chance" and "one of the very top names in London generally." He receives strong praise from sources, who say: "He takes his work extremely seriously and thinks very hard about it. He is really cleverly commercial and his judgement is excellent."
Chambers Global 2016
- Simon Davis continues to impress with his extensive knowledge of the financial sector. Sources praise his ability to "articulate his thoughts briefly and powerfully," and find him "a very calm and considered influence on a difficult situation."
Simon Davis is a "seriously classy performer" when it comes to contentious FS matters, particularly large market manipulation investigations. He is well known for the 'Davis Review' in which he undertook an independent inquiry into the FCA's supervision of certain life insurance customers. Clients appreciate his "immense experience and great tactical vision."
Chambers UK 2016