Nigel Hatfield leads the Private Funds Group in London.
Nigel specialises in advising on the establishment and structuring of fund management businesses and private funds (including private equity, real estate, infrastructure and funds-of-funds) along with the legal and commercial issues arising from their operation. Nigel advises both managers of and investors in such funds.
Private Funds Update - February 2019
15 February 2019
Clifford Chance Private Funds Update: Summer 2018
3 July 2018
Brexit: ESMA signals tougher stance on UK asset manager relocation to the EU
20 July 2017
Fund structures with Scottish Limited partnerships: impact of changes to the UK PSC regime
4 July 2017
Investments by Insurers under Solvency II
25 May 2016
Career and qualifications
- University of Cambridge (BA, Law) 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Partner since 2002
Awards and citations
- Band 1 - Investment Funds: Private Equity
Band 1 - Investment Funds: Real estate
Nigel Hatfield "stands out from much of the rest of the field," according to one interviewee. His profile in the market is strong, having acted on some of the most significant private equity and real estate funds in recent years.
Chambers UK 2014
- Band 1 – India: Investment Funds (International Firms) (Experts Based Abroad)
Nigel Hatfield is a noted authority on investment funds, with a particular focus on the real estate sector.
Chambers Global 2014
- Leading individual Nigel Hatfield has "outstanding knowledge".
Legal 500 UK 2014
- Recommended for Private Funds
Who's Who Legal