Matthew Layton is Clifford Chance's Managing Partner. He chairs the firm's Executive Leadership Group which is responsible for the management of the firm and for Clifford Chance's strategic growth and development.
Before taking up leadership of the firm globally, Matthew was the global head of Clifford Chance's Corporate practice.
Matthew has over 30 years experience at Clifford Chance. His practice specialises in domestic and cross-border public and private M&A, with a particular focus on private equity transactions, as well as aspects of corporate finance work.
- EADS N.V. on the proposed combination of the businesses of BAE Systems plc and EADS using a dual listed company structure
- Actis on the buy-back of the UK government's stake in it
- Permira on the US$5 billion sale to Cisco of NDS Group plc, having previously advised on the US$3.7 billion public -to-private of the company
- Permira and Birds Eye Iglo Group on the €800 million acquisition of Unilever's Italian frozen foods business, Findus Italy, having previously advised on the €1.9 billion acquisition of Birds Eye Iglo Group
Clifford Chance advises GIC on the purchase of 50% interest in Broadgate
8 January 2014
Clifford Chance advises Citigroup on the disposals of EMI's recorded music business and music publishing business for a combined $4.1bn value
15 November 2011
- Leeds University (LL.B) 1982
- Joined Clifford Chance 1983
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1986
- Partner since 1991
- Global Head of Corporate Practice 2008
- Managing Partner from May 2014
Matthew has been ranked in Private Equity International's 2013 Legal Power 30 as one of the 30 most influential lawyers working in the private equity industry today. He is also ranked as a leading individual in a number of legal directories:
- Private Equity - Buyouts (UK-wide): Chambers UK 2014
- Corporate/M&A - High-end Capability (London): Chambers UK 2014
- Private Equity - Transactions: Legal 500 UK 2013
- Private Equity - Transactions: IFLR 1000 UK 2013
- Matthew Layton leads the global corporate group and has had "a stellar reputation since day one." According to peers, he remains the "gold standard" for private equity lawyers.
Chambers UK 2013
Global M&A Toolkit
View from Davos: The end of globalisation?
31 January 2017
Clifford Chance's Insights into M&A Trends 2014 – Global Dynamics
3 February 2014
Our Insights into M&A Trends - Global Dynamics – January 2013
29 July 2013
European M&A: On the road to recovery?
5 June 2013
Our Insights into M&A Trends - Global Dynamics – July 2012
13 July 2012
Cross-border M&A: Perspectives on a changing world
3 May 2012
Our Insights into M&A Trends - Global Dynamics - January 2012
31 January 2012
Clifford Chance/FinanceAsia Asian M&A Survey 2011
9 December 2011