Matthew Layton is Clifford Chance's Managing Partner. He chairs the firm's Executive Leadership Group which is responsible for the management of the firm and for Clifford Chance's strategic growth and development.
Before taking up leadership of the firm globally, Matthew was the global head of Clifford Chance's Corporate practice.
Matthew has over 30 years experience at Clifford Chance. His practice specialises in domestic and cross-border public and private M&A, with a particular focus on private equity transactions, as well as aspects of corporate finance work.
- EADS N.V. on the proposed combination of the businesses of BAE Systems plc and EADS using a dual listed company structure
- Actis on the buy-back of the UK government's stake in it
- Permira on the USD$5 billion sale to Cisco of NDS Group plc, having previously advised on the USD$3.7 billion public -to-private of the company
- Permira and Birds Eye Iglo Group on the EUR800 million acquisition of Unilever's Italian frozen foods business, Findus Italy, having previously advised on the EUR1.9 billion acquisition of Birds Eye Iglo Group
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
Career and qualifications
- Leeds University (LL.B) 1982
- Joined Clifford Chance 1983
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1986
- Partner since 1991
- Global Head of Corporate Practice 2008
- Managing Partner from May 2014
Awards and citations
- Ranked as a Top 50 Ally Executive in the 2016 OUTstanding List, presented by the Financial Times