Lee Coney specialises in advising corporate, investment banking, private equity and other clients on strategic M&A, capital raising and regulatory issues.
Lee is the co-author of numerous publications relating to the UK Takeover Code and a contributing author to "A Practioners Guide to the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers".
- CK Asset Holdings recommended offer for Greene King
- Mastercard on its acquisition of NETS corporate services
- Inmarsat on its acquisition by Triton Bidco for £2.6 billion
- Booker on its merger with Tesco
- Patron Capital on its takeover offer for Punch Taverns
- The Co-operative Bank on its formal sale process and restructuring
- EADS on its proposed merger with BAE
- Babcock International on its recommended offer for VT Group
- MasterCard on its recommended offer for DataCash
- Kraft Foods on its acquisition of Cadbury
- George Wimpey on its merger with Taylor Woodrow
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Oriel College, Oxford University (BA, Jurisprudence) 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Seconded to Citigroup investment bank 1999
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- "He's a brilliant lawyer and knows his stuff. He's commercial, gets on well with people and reads situations well."
- Lee has been cited in Chambers UK (High-End M&A) as "an extremely effective negotiator" who employs a "highly commercial approach" to client requirements and is "highly interactive". Lee is noted as being particularly adept at Public M&A matters with strong knowledge of the Takeover Code.
- In 2017, Lee was named in a global database of client nominated Star Lawyers