Lee Coney specialises in advising corporate, investment banking, private equity and other clients on strategic M&A, capital raising and regulatory issues.
Lee is the co-author of numerous publications relating to the UK Takeover Code and a contributing author to "A Practioners Guide to the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers".
Lee is a member of our global Corporate Culture team.
- Booker on its merger with Tesco
- Patron Capital on its takeover offer for Punch Taverns
- The Co-operative Bank on its formal sale process and restructuring
- EADS on its proposed merger with BAE
- Babcock International on its recommended offer for VT Group
- MasterCard on its recommended offer for DataCash
- Kraft Foods on its acquisition of Cadbury
- George Wimpey on its merger with Taylor Woodrow
Clifford Chance advised Provident Financial on its successful defence of Non-Standard Finance's takeover bid
6 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises Imagination Technologies Group PLC on its takeover offer by Canyon Bridge
25 September 2017
Clifford Chance advises Nielsen on redomiciliation to the UK by way of innovative European cross-border merger
7 September 2015
Clifford Chance advises Sime Darby on US$1.74 billion cash offer for New Britain Palm Oil Limited
9 October 2014
Clifford Chance advises Babcock International Group on its acquisition of Avincis Mission Critical Services
31 March 2014
Clifford Chance advises Eurasian Resources Group on £3 billion offer for Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation PLC
26 June 2013
Clifford Chance advises GKN on its acquisition of Volvo Aero
5 July 2012
Clifford Chance advises SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. on its recommended cash offer for GlobeOp Financial Services S.A.
21 March 2012
Change to companies subject to the UK Takeover Code
20 May 2013
Impact of UK Takeover Code Reform: One Year On
18 September 2012
Impact of UK Takeover Code Reform - Seven months on
21 May 2012
Impact of UK Takeover Code Reform
15 September 2011
Career and qualifications
- Oriel College, Oxford University (BA, Jurisprudence) 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance 1996
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Seconded to Citigroup investment bank 1999
- Partner since 2007
Awards and citations
- "He's a brilliant lawyer and knows his stuff. He's commercial, gets on well with people and reads situations well."
- Lee has been cited in Chambers UK (High-End M&A) as "an extremely effective negotiator" who employs a "highly commercial approach" to client requirements and is "highly interactive". Lee is noted as being particularly adept at Public M&A matters with strong knowledge of the Takeover Code.
- In 2017, Lee was named in a global database of client nominated Star Lawyers