Katherine Coates has over 30 years' experience of all aspects of corporate and commercial work, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
She specialises in non-contentious insurance matters including UK and European insurance regulation and compliance, start-ups, mergers and acquisitions, reorganisations, demutualisations, capital raising, distribution arrangements, product development and the Lloyd's market.
Katherine also advises on mergers and acquisitions and other corporate matters for banks, asset managers and other financial institutions.
- LCM Holdings Limited on its sale of the shares in Lucida PLC to Legal and General Assurance Society Limited for an estimated consideration of GBP£151 million
- Legal & General on the BAE Systems' GBP£3.2 billion longevity swap, the largest single pensions insurance transaction in the UK to date
- Aviva plc on a significant life group reorganisation and reattribution project and on several portfolio Part VII transfers, group reorganisations, M&A transactions and regulatory matters
- Abbey Life/Deutsche Bank on a VIF realisation transaction for Santander’s Spanish and Portuguese life insurance subsidiaries
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, London
- Email me
- Practice area Insurance, M&A corporate
- Sector Banks, Funds & investment management, Insurance
Career and qualifications
- Somerville College, Oxford (MA Jurisprudence) 1980
- Joined Clifford Chance 1981
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1983
- Partner 1990
- Special Counsel since 2021
Awards and citations
- Insurance Team of the Year
Legal Business Awards 2018
- Legal Firm of the Year and Deal of the Year
Reactions London Market Awards 2018
- "Simply outstanding. She is an exceptional lawyer who provides expert insight and strong leadership while remaining a team player. She is very solutions-focused, and her knowledge of insurance regulation and law is encyclopaedic without ever resorting to technical jargon." Chambers 2019
- Global Head of Insurance Katherine Coates is widely regarded as "a phenomenal name in the industry," and is praised by clients for her "pragmatic and commercial" approach. She is rated a 'star individual'.