James Pay specialises in power, renewables, mining and metals, energy infrastructure transactions, including project and minority stake financings, commercial contracts and M&A and joint venture work.
James is head of Clifford Chance's Global Renewables Group and co-head of our Mining and Metals Group.
- Advising Actis on all elements of their renewable energy joint ventures with Mainstream for investments in Chile and Africa
- Advising RWE in relation to all aspects of their development, equity sell down and pre-construction limited resource financing of the UK Galloper Offshore Wind Farm
- Acting for PGGM and Ampere on the hybrid refinancing of their JV stake in a windfarm
- Advising Vale in relation to the Simandou iron ore project in Liberia and Guinea including in relation to a new port and railway
- Advising lenders on solar and wind farm financings in South Africa, UK, Spain and Poland
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1995
- Partner since 2003
Awards and citations
- "He is good when discussing risks and taking a commercial view on things."
Chambers UK 2022, Energy & Natural Resources
- James is ranked in the top 15 lawyers globally by 'A Word About Wind' for his groundbreaking work on some of the world's leading renewable wind energy projects