James specialises in cross-border debt financings and restructurings and other forms of structured and corporate debt, in particular M&A financings and private equity-led leveraged buy-outs, where he works for a wide variety of financial institutions, corporates and private equity sponsor clients.
James has led transactions in most European jurisdictions, including France, the UK, Italy, the Nordic regions, Greece and Poland.
- Advising the SNAM, GIC and EdF Consortium on the EUR€400 million acquisition debt financing for the purchase of hundred percent (100%) shares in the share capital of Transport et Infrastructures Gaz France S.A
- Advising the Mandated Lead Arrangers (BNP Paribas, Bank of Ireland and UniCredit) on the financing of the acquisition by PAI Partners of ADB Solutions, the world leader in airfield lighting, from Montagu Private Equity
- Advising Pernod Ricard SA on the refinancing of their EUR€2.5 million revolving credit facilities
- Advising JP Morgan on the EUR€700 million acquisition financing by Aeroports de Paris of a significant minority stake in Istanbul Airport
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
Career and qualifications
- Oxford University (BA, Jurisprudence) 1989
- European University Institute Florence (LLM European Law) 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Cambridge University (LLM Commercial Law) 1994
- Admitted as a Barrister 1994
- Contributor to the Law of Bank Payments (Sweet & Maxwell) 1999
- Admitted as a barrister in London 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Partner since 2005
Awards and citations
- "UK-qualified James Butters is renowned for his global footprint, particularly in areas such as complex restructurings and debt finances. Also active in the corporate sphere, he handles acquisition finance, LBOs and corporate debt."
Chambers Global, France, Capital Markets, 2015
- “James Butters recently moved from the Firm's London office to strengthen the English law offering in Paris. He is already proving popular with French clients: He is proactive and can get things done astonishingly quickly. He has a good knowledge of the market and is strong in negotiations".
Chambers Europe, Section Banking & Finance, 2013, and Chambers Global, France, Section Banking & Finance, 2013
- "James Butters is well known both domestically and internationally for his work in the areas of complex debt and acquisition finance".
Chambers Global 2012