Hilary Evenett has experience of all aspects of corporate and commercial work, including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures focussing on financial institutions.
She specialises in non-contentious insurance matters, including UK and European regulation, new authorisations, mergers and acquisitions, portfolio transfers, demutualisations, Lloyd's transactions, but also has significant experience of transactions involving banks and asset managers.
- Clifford Chance advises CVC Funds on the acquisition of Domestic and General Group Holdings Limited, an international group providing extended warranty insurance cover and services plans in the UK, elsewhere in the EEA and Australia, from Advent International
- Clifford Chance advises Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group plc (JLT), one of the world's leading suppliers of insurance and employee benefits-related advice, brokerage and associated services, on its acquisition of Towers Watson reinsurance brokerage for a cash consideration of USD$250 million (GBP£156 million)
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
- Hilary explores some of the key transaction drivers in the global insurance sector (February 2014)
- Hilary discusses the increasingly proactive role of regulators in M&A (April 2013)
- Hilary considers the challenges and opportunities for buyers and sellers involved in state aid disposals (April 2013)
Career and qualifications
- Merton College, Oxford (MA, Jurisprudence) 1985
- Called to Bar 1986
- Joined Clifford Chance 1988
- Requalified as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Partner since 1997
Awards and citations
- "She's the most brilliant regulatory insurance lawyer I've ever met. She understands cross-border regulation better than anyone, and can help a business person make sense of it in ways that no one else can."
- "Legal Business Awards 2018, Insurance Team of the Year" and "Reactions London Market Awards 2018, Legal Firm of the Year and Deal of the Year".
- Hilary is "'technically very good,' and she is an acknowledged expert in corporate work in particular".
Source: Chambers UK
- Hilary was named in the The Lawyer's "Hot 100" leading lawyers ranking in 2013.