Habib Motani is a leading international financial markets lawyer, with particular expertise in relation to derivatives, securities lending, repo, netting and collateral and clearing and settlement systems.
He specialises in OTC and securitised derivatives, structured capital markets products including derivative linked retail and wholesale structured products, investment banking sales and trading advisory work, Islamic derivatives, securities lending and repos, netting and collateral and their regulatory capital treatment and in the infrastructure aspects of the financial markets, such as payment and settlement systems, clearing systems, prime brokerage and custody.
- On equity derivative transactions involving stakes in public and private companies through puts and calls or collars, forwards, total return swaps, CFDs and other derivatives; and on hedging and syndication through equity derivatives of equity stakes and synthetic equity stakes
- On oil and other commodity swaps and repos
- On precious metal dealings and custody, including sales, options, leases, loans, other financings and allocated and unallocated holdings; including advising the IMF on its programme for the disposal of gold bullion
- Extensive experience of structured products, including retail structured products such as notes, warrants and certificates programmes and other securitised derivatives issues
- On Islamic hedging and structured products
- Extensive involvement with market related initiatives, both with market bodies and individual firms, relating to netting, collateral, clearing and settlement, disclosure and prospectus requirements, including participation in the preparation of the two Giovannini Committee Reports, membership of the European Commission's Clearing and Settlement Legal Certainty Group and its Expert Group on Market Infrastructures and various initiatives of the Financial Markets Law Committee, the New York Financial Markets Lawyers Group and the European Financial Markets Lawyers Group
- On the establishment of various UK and international clearing and settlement entities and systems
Discretion and Loss
25 February 2019
Ethics and Leadership - How do values influence business decisions?
29 August 2018
ISDA Credit Support Annex: High Court confirms no obligation to account for 'negative interest'
3 August 2018
IBOR fallbacks for derivatives – ISDA consultation on term and spread adjustments for floating rates
17 July 2018
GMRAs and determining 'Fair Market Value': Broad discretion of the non-defaulting party re-affirmed by Court of Appeal
14 May 2018
Career and qualifications
- Cambridge University (BA) 1977
- Joined Clifford Chance 1978
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1980
- Partner 1986 - 2019
- Consultant since 2019
- Law Society