Greg Olsen is the Head of the London Antitrust Practice.
Greg has over 25 years' experience in the application of EU and UK competition law to mergers, joint ventures and commercial arrangements as well as market investigations and alleged behavioural violations such as cartels, anticompetitive arrangements and abuse of market power. Greg advises major companies and institutions in a diverse range of industries including financial services, insurance, media and consumer goods.
In 2018, Greg was named "Dealmaker of the Year" by Global Competition Review.
- Mastercard on its acquisitions of NETS corporate services business and VocaLink
- The Bank of England and the European Central Bank Risk Free Rate Working Groups on antitrust issues related to the transition from LIBOR to SONIA and from EONIA / EURIBOR to €STR
- Booker Group plc on the antitrust aspects of its £3.7 billion merger with Tesco plc
- Comcast / NBCUniversal on the European Commission's investigations of (i) cross-border licensing of premium movie and pay TV content; and (ii) merchandise licensing.
- Mastercard on the European Commission's investigation of inter-regional interchange fees and cross-border acquiring rules
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, London
- Email me
- Follow me on LinkedIn
- Practice area M&A corporate, Antitrust, EU & trade
- Sector Consumer goods & retail, Banks, Insurance, Industrials, Energy & resources, Mining & metals, Private equity
Career and qualifications
- University of Canterbury NZ (LLB) 1987
- University of Oxford, Keble College (B.C.L) 1990
- Winter Williams Commonwealth Scholar 1990
- Admitted as a solicitor in New Zealand 1990
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Committee member and past Chair of the Law Society's Competition Law Section
- Trustee of the NZ-UK Link Foundation
Awards and citations
- Dealmaker of the Year: Global Competition Review (GCR) Awards 2018
- Ranked Band 2 for Competition/European Law in Chambers UK 2018
- Identified as a leading individual in Legal 500 UK 2017 for EU and Competition