David Metzger is the head of our International Construction Group. He specialises in the construction and related aspects of major UK and international projects.
David has particular experience in connection with energy and transport and social infrastructure projects and is a recognised leader in the field in the leading legal directories. He is joint head of our nuclear energy sector group and part of the leadership teams for our renewable energy and infrastructure/PPP offerings.
David advises sponsors, lenders and contractors on:
- Numerous offshore wind farms (including Walney Extension, Galloper, Hornsea One, Gwynt-y-Môr and Sheringham Shoal in the UK and St. Nazaire, Fécamp, Courseulles-sur-Mer and Provence Grand Large (floating) in France) and on gas, coal, hydro, wind and solar power projects in Brazil, Chile, Mexico, India, South Africa, Kenya, Morocco, UK, Poland and Spain
- Path-finding transport, healthcare and defence PPP projects including originating several of the now standard modern-day features in project documentation to enable the ‘bankability’ of these schemes (examples include Çanakkale 1915 Bridge, Gebze-Izmir Motorway, Third Bosphorous Bridge, New Tyne Tunnel and over 25 Major acute Hospital PPPs including Barts Hospital, St Helens, Central Notts, Walsgrave, Etlik, Mersin and Bilkent Health Campuses and Royal Karolinska)
- New nuclear power projects including Hinckley Point C in the UK for EDF SA, Horizon in the UK, Akkuyu in Turkey and further projects in Eastern Europe
- The procurement and construction of new city/community and major urban regeneration projects internationally as well as major sports stadia projects (including 2012 Olympic Main Stadium, Wembley Stadium, World Cup stadia projects)
Clifford Chance a conseillé Eolien Maritime France dans le cadre du développement, le financement, la construction et l'exploitation du parc éolien en mer au large de Saint-Nazaire d'une capacité installée de 480 MW
18 September 2019
Clifford Chance advises Global Infrastructure Partners on its purchase of a 50% stake in Hornsea 1
21 September 2018
Clifford Chance advises the lenders on Turkey's mega project, the North Marmara Motorway
19 February 2018
Clifford Chance and Yegin Ciftci Attorney Partnership advise CCN Yatırım Holding, one of the world’s top 200 construction companies, in Turkish Public Health Agency and the Turkish Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Agency Campus PPP Project
28 December 2017
Clifford Chance advises PFA and PKA on c. £2bn acquisition of world's largest wind farm
24 November 2017
Clifford Chance advises EDF on proposals for China's CGN to invest GBP 6bn in the Hinkley Point C nuclear power project
26 October 2015
Clifford Chance advises lenders on signing of US$4.96 billion facility for development of major motorway in Turkey
25 June 2015
Clifford Chance advises GDF SUEZ, Nareva and Mitsui consortium on financing of US$2.6 billion power station in Safi, Morocco
14 October 2014
Clifford Chance conseille les prêteurs sur la phase I du financement de l'autoroute Gebze-Orhangazi-Izmir
26 March 2013
Clifford Chance advises the lenders on the phase I financing of the Gebze-Orhangazi-Izmir motorway (including the Izmit Gulf crossing suspension bridge) in Turkey
25 March 2013
Growing the Green Economy: Addressing the Sustainability Challenges and Opportunities
31 July 2019
Infrastructure: 21st Century Challenges - A legal perspective
29 October 2018
16 May 2018
Cost-Plus Guaranteed Maximum Price Contracts
16 May 2018
Two Stage Contracts
16 May 2018
Career and qualifications
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge (MA Law) 1989
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1992
- Joined Clifford Chance 1995
- Partner since 1999
- The City of London Law Society Construction Committee
Awards and citations
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner for Real estate acquisitions by IFLR1000
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners UK for Construction: Purchaser 2020
- "David Metzger is head of the firm's global construction group as well as leading the non-contentious construction team in London. He routinely advises on a range of non-contentious issues arising out of energy, transport, urban regeneration and stadium projects, and is also skilled in handling construction-related M&A and restructuring."
Chambers & Partners UK 2020
- "Clients describe him as 'brilliant' and say: 'He is head and shoulders above anyone for non-contentious construction advice'."
Chambers & Partners UK 2020
- "The 'stand out' David Metzger, who leads the team, advises on transport, social infrastructure and urban regeneration matters"
Legal 500 UK 2020
- "David Metzger is the standout partner - he combines razor sharp intellect with a sensible approach to closing deals."
Legal 500 UK 2020
- "'Clients value his 'combination of strong intellect and the practical application of his impressive knowledge in a commercial and solutions-driven manner'."
Chambers & Partners UK 2019
- "Non-contentious group head David Metzger frequently represents purchaser clients in significant matters in the energy, infrastructure and urban regeneration businesses. He is highlighted by one client for his ability to 'combine a mastery of his subject with very practical application'."
Chambers & Partners UK 2018
- "Non-contentious department leader David Metzger often acts on sophisticated infrastructure, property development and energy projects. One source praises his 'impressive legal mind,' while another says: 'He is really helpful. He's a good leading hand and always available'."
Chambers & Partners UK 2017
- "Head of practice David Metzger ‘combines intellectual mastery of his subject with commercial acumen’."
Legal 500 UK 2016
- "Non-contentious group co-head David Metzger 'combines a top legal intellect with an ability to translate his expertise in a practical and commercial manner' according to sources. He acts on matters in the infrastructure, energy and urban regeneration spaces."
Chambers & Partners UK 2016
- "David Metzger 'provides excellent, insightful advice which is also commercial and practical,' assert clients. He specialises in non-contentious work and frequently advises on infrastructure projects."
Chambers & Partners 2015
- "Sources say David Metzger is 'exceedingly good at hugely difficult and complex projects'. He concentrates on non-contentious work for major domestic and international projects."
Chambers & Partners 2014
- "The 'very impressive' David Metzger has an excellent reputation for his work on transactional construction work. He is advising on the development of a new generation of nuclear power facilities in the UK."
Chambers & Partners 2013
- "David Metzger is appreciated by clients for his 'creative, pragmatic mindset'. He has recently been active advising clients on the development of nuclear facilities."
Chambers & Partners 2012
- "David Metzger earns praise for his technical expertise and in-depth industry knowledge; clients value his 'integrity and trustworthiness'."
Chambers & Partners 2011