Charles Cochrane is a Partner in the Finance Practice.
Charles has wide experience of both UK and cross-border financing transactions with particular experience in leveraged transactions, acquisition finance, restructuring and syndicated lending.
- Advising the lead arrangers on the euro equivalent of 1.97 billion senior facilities financing BC Partner's acquisition of Springer Science and Business Media
- Acting for the lead arrangers on the USD$1.44 billion syndicated facility for Gold Fields
- Advising the lenders on the GBP£1.3 billion restructuring of the Quinn Group
Clifford Chance advises AELA Group on portfolio financing for three wind farms in Chile
7 September 2017
AMLD5: Expanded trust registration requirement - delayed but in the pipeline for the UK
16 January 2020
AMLD5: Expanded trust registration requirement - Unexpected consequences for UK business
12 December 2019
LIBOR - Loan Market Update
21 November 2019
Directors' Liability for Unlawful Dividends
27 June 2019
IBOR fallbacks for derivatives – ISDA's supplemental consultation on term and spread adjustments for floating rates and its consultation on pre-cessation issues
13 June 2019
Career and qualifications
- University College, Oxford (BA Jurisprudence) 1990, (BCL) 1992
- Joined Clifford Chance 1992
- Admitted as solicitor in England & Wales 1994
- Partner since 2002
- Member of City of London Law Society Financial Law Committee
Awards and citations
- Charles is ranked in the top band by Chambers for Banking and Finance work and listed by the Legal 500 as a leading individual for Acquisition Finance.
- Charles Cochrane has a "massive intellectual capability, and the uncanny ability to think one step ahead," earning him the moniker "two-brains" from one admiring client.
Chambers UK 2013
- Sources highlight him as a go-to person for highly complex and demanding situations that require a creative solution
- Charles Cochrane is regularly at the forefront of the team’s most complex mandates.
Legal 500 2013