Reinhard Damman advises on insolvency law, with a particular emphasis on international and cross border insolvency and restructuring. He also specialises in French trust law 'fiducie'.
Reinhard has acted for a broad spectrum of clients in fields including financial institutions, private equity funds, industrial corporations and insolvency trustees in France and abroad.
With acknowledged experience in these fields, Reinhard is the author of numerous articles published in both specialist and general publications and is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences, in particular on European regulation of insolvency proceedings and French trust law.
Clifford Chance conseille le groupe Stoelzle dans le cadre de la reprise des actifs de ses filiales Stoelzle Masnières et Stoelzle Masnières Décoration
19 May 2015
Clifford Chance conseille l'Etat sur le plan définitif de résolution du Crédit immobilier de France (CIF)
3 December 2013
Clifford Chance conseille le Comité de Coordination des créanciers seniors dans la restructuration du groupe HIME / SAUR
11 October 2013
Clifford Chance advises the senior creditors' coordination committee in the restructuring of the group HIME / SAUR
11 October 2013
Clifford Chance conseille Crédit Agricole S.A. dans la cession d’Emporiki à Alpha Bank
17 October 2012
- The High Yield Restructuring Landscape – A European Perspective
EU directive on restructuring frameworks: The same, but different?
26 June 2019
Restructuring Solutions in Europe - Promoting and Embracing Change
5 April 2019
A new EU landscape for restructuring
11 October 2018
Commencement of Romanian main insolvency proceedings
6 July 2018
Changes to European cross border restructuring and insolvencies - something for everyone?
26 June 2017
Career and qualifications
- Institute of Political Science of Aix-Marseille 1985
- University of Aix-Marseille (Postgraduate in Business Law) 1986
- University of Munich (Doctorate in German Law) 1991
- Partner White & Case 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2008
- Member of the International Insolvency Institute (III)
- Member of Insol Europe
- Member of the French Committee for Private International Law
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance stands out for its ability to handle complex cases including cross-border disputes and fiducie aspects. The six-lawyer team regularly acts for insolvency administrators and also represents debtors and creditors. It recently acted for the trustee in CGG's safeguard proceedings and assisted Agripole's bondholders with the restructuring of Agripole and William Saurin. Practice head Reinhard Dammann has extensive experience and academic knowledge of his field. Counsel Gilles Podeur is another key name."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2019
- Reinhard Dammann handles pre-insolvency and safeguard proceedings as well as bankruptcy and liquidation mandates. Clients admire his cross-border capabilities, suggesting he is "very strong internationally" and "very knowledgeable in foreign law."
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2019
- "Clifford Chance has particular experience in advising on cross-border insolvencies and one-of-a-kind matters. In recent highlights, the group represented the trustee with regards to CGG’s French and US insolvency. Practice head Reinhard Dammann is frequently consulted by the European Commission to advise on EU insolvency law harmonisation. Counsel Gilles Podeur is also involved."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2018
- "Reinhard Dammann is admired by sources for being "very good at negotiating" and is active on a range of domestic and cross-border restructuring matters, with a particular focus on bankruptcy, insolvency and liquidation proceedings. He represented the French and German liquidators of Alkor-Venilia in insolvency proceedings, including litigation cases regarding the opening of secondary insolvency proceedings and claims against former managers and lenders worth EUR88 million."
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2018
- "Clifford Chance has ‘an extremely available team with great experience’. The practice represents creditors, shareholders and debtors, often in the most complex matters. It has been assisting the French Ministries of Transport and Foreign Affairs with the insolvency of the high-speed rail concession between Perpignan and Figueras. The firm also represented Racing Club de Lens Football Club with its pre-pack sale. Reinhard Dammann is ‘a major influence to help change the current legal environment’. Counsel Gilles Podeur is also recommended."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2017
- Department head Reinhard Dammann has an excellent reputation for insolvency-related litigation. Clients say: "He is extremely technical and intelligent. He has an international outlook and speaks multiple languages. He is also pleasant to work with and very personable." He recently advised Captain Bidco on the restructuring of Ascometal's debt, valued at EUR800 million.
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring, 2017
- A specialist in insolvency law, Reinhard Dammann has notable expertise in litigation and dispute resolution. "He never loses sight of the ultimate goal, which is to find the best solution for the company," notes one client.
Chambers Europe, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2016
- "Clifford Chance advises distressed companies and their shareholders, as well as lenders. The practice is regularly involved in cross-border matters. It is notably representing Austrian glass manufacturer Stoelzle-Oberglas in the restructuring of its French subsidiary STM. The practice is led by the highly experienced Reinhard Dammann and finance specialists Daniel Zerbib and counsel Gilles Podeur".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Insolvency, 2016
- A frontrunner in his field, Reinhard Dammann "has a thoroughly cross-border vision. He is able to speak with a German, UK or US trustee with ease. He is able to deal with all the different parties he faces on the same level, a rather unique trait on the market."
Chambers Global, France, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2015
- Sources say Reinhard Dammann is "incredibly capable and on top of the new legislation in France." He advises on insolvency law in France, and on cross-border transactions.
Chambers Europe, Restructuring/Insolvency, 2014
- "Clifford Chance’s six-lawyer team assisted the committee of senior creditors with Saur’s debt restructuring. The practice also advises distressed companies and is regularly involved in distressed M&A and restructuring such as assisting the Ministry for the Economy and Finance with Crédit Immobilier de France’s bail-out. Practice head Reinhard Dammann is a leading expert and academic figure in France. Finance specialist Daniel Zerbib and counsel Gilles Podeur are also recommended."
Legal 500, Insolvency, 2014
- Clifford Chance’s five-lawyer team often assists liquidators, and is increasingly being retained by debtors and creditors. Reinhard has "profound industry knowledge" and "thorough understanding of the commercial needs of a financial institution faced with the insolvency of its debtor". Reinhard is an academic expert who is advising the European Commission on its revision of the European Insolvency Regulation.
Legal 500, Insolvency, 2013
- "Practice head Reinhard Dammann is prominent in the French restructuring and insolvency field. He has a keen client focus, with one interviewee observing that "the availability and the quality were both outstanding." He is of German origin and is highlighted for his capacity to provide seamless advice to German clients".
Chambers Global, Restructuring / Insolvency, France, 2013
- Reinhard is lauded by clients for the international overview which he brings to deals. Interviewees describe him as a “top French insolvency lawyer with a brilliant mind”.
Chambers Global 2012
- "Clifford Chance’s team leader Reinhard Dammann is a major name in the insolvency and restructuring sphere, representing banks, administrators and liquidators in high-profile cases, including assisting the insolvency administrator in the Technicolor case. Dammann is also a French and German specialist in ‘fiducie’, a type of trust".
Legal 500, France, Insolvency, 2012