José Antonio has more than 28 years of experience acting before the Courts of all jurisdictions and instances.
José has participated in over 100 arbitration proceedings - both as a lawyer and as an arbitrator - before the most prestigious Spanish arbitration institutions, as well as before the ICC, LCIA, AAA, in proceedings with UNCITRAL, OACI rules and ad hoc arbitrations. He has advised clients on claims before the ICSID.
- Representing and defending Mr. Manuel Jove, former Chairman and majority shareholder of Fadesa, S.A., in a corporate liability claim brought by the Insolvency Receives of Martinsa-Fadesa, S.A. regarding the valuation of some plots in México (EUR€108 million). We also represent Mr. Manuel Jove in judicial proceedings at the request of Martinsa-Fadesa, S.A. through corporate actions for liability, amounting to EUR€1.576 billion
- Advising Abengoa on a damages claim against the United Mexican States under the rules of the ICSID in relation to the violation of the minimum level of treatment in accordance with international standards and the indirect expropriation of an investment consisting of a treatment and confinement plant for hazardous industrial waste
- Advising Actividades de Construcciones y Servicios (ACS) to the management of its significant stake in Iberdrola and its intents to access to the company's Board of Directors
- Representing VESTA WTG, S.A. de C.V. in arbitration proceedings before the ICC against Unión Eólica Panameña in a claim for damages caused by the infringement of the exclusivity clause of the wind turbine supply agreement for three wind farms in Panama
Career and qualifications
- University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain (Law) 1982
- State Lawyer of the Madrid Courts 1985
- Lecturer, Instituto de Empresa, Madrid since 1987
- Admitted as an abogado in Madrid 1990
- Head State Lawyer of the Superior Court of Madrid 1990
- Baker & McKenzie 1994
- Joined Clifford Chance 1998
- Partner since 1998
- Lecturer, San Pablo CEU, Madrid
Awards and citations
- José Antonio Caínzos earns praise for his commercial awareness and stellar drafting and presentational skills. "He's very intelligent and fully aware of any changes in the market. He's also a great communicator and remains measured and calm throughout negotiations," asserts one client.
Chambers Spain, Dispute Resolution (Band 1)