Iñigo Villoria specialises in insolvency law and financial litigation. He has been giving advice to multinational and Spanish companies in all areas of law related to commercial litigation and arbitration.
Iñigo leads the Insolvency & Restructuring Area in the Madrid office, working for both creditors and debtors in insolvency proceedings, debt restructuring, and in deals for the sale and purchase of assets in insolvent companies. He is a specialist in legal defence in claw back actions and matters related to the classification of insolvency.
- Martinsa-Fadesa: Advising various financial institutions, including two of the five most important credit entities according to volume of liabilities, with direct involvement in the negotiation of the agreement
- Advising Lábaro Grupo Inmobiliario, S.A., as the insolvent debtor, in one of the most important insolvency cases brought forth to date in respect of the initial assets and liabilities (in excess of 1 billion euros)
- Air Comet/Marsans: Advising one of the main creditors of the group and the lessors of the aircraft. Providing legal defence against rescissory actions
- Active role in the refinancing process of companies like Colonial, Metrovacesa, La Seda , Eroski and others, advising borrowers or creditors
- He is a lecturer in several Insolvency Law programmes (CEU, Universidad Autónoma) and a regular contributor to specialist journals and the financial media on these matters
- He is the author of several books and coordinator of the Memento Concursal
Restructuring Solutions in Europe - Promoting and Embracing Change
5 April 2019
Consumer loans: early termination clauses after the most recent developments
1 April 2019
The Spanish Supreme Court, sitting in plenary session, confirms that loans linked to an official index cannot be abusive
11 January 2018
El pleno del Tribunal Supremo confirma que los préstamos referenciados a un índice oficial no pueden ser abusivos
11 January 2018
Entitlement to bring legal actions in Syndicated Financing: Judgment of the Madrid Provincial Court of 21 April 2017
10 October 2017
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas (Law) 1993
- ICADE (Business Management) 1993
- Admitted as an Abogado in Madrid 1995
- Valeriano Hernández Abogados 1996
- Partner since 2009
Awards and citations
- KEY INDIVIDUALS Sources are unanimous in their praise of Iñigo Villoria, describing him as "someone who keeps his cool in stressful situations." His client portfolio includes major names from the real estate and aviation sectors.
Chambers & Partners Spain, Restructuring/Insolvency (Band 1)
- Iñigo Villoria enjoys a highly respected insolvency and financial litigation practice. Sources highlight his client-friendly manner and strong performance in court, saying he is "available, attentive and a really great pleader."
Chambers & Partners Spain, Dispute Resolution (Band 4)