Matthew Fairclough's practice covers a broad range of debt and equity capital markets, advising on issues of straight debt securities, MTN, CD and CP programmes, convertible and exchangeable bonds (including pre-IPO financings), corporate hybrid capital and regulatory capital products. His clients include underwriters, corporate, financial institution and sovereign issuers and trustees.
Matt also advises on liability management transactions, including tender and exchange offers and consent solicitations, debt restructurings, debt for equity swaps and bespoke private capital markets financings. He is a trusted advisor on regulatory issues for banks in Asia Pacific, particularly in the regulatory capital space.
Most recently, Matt advised the underwriters on USD$1.2 billion of perpetual capital securities guaranteed by Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited, and the joint global coordinators on Bank of China's USD$3.55 billion four currency multi-tranche bond issuance.
- Advised the arrangers and dealers in relation to the establishment of Li & Fung Limited's US$2 billion MTN and perpetual securities programme and the issue of USD$650 million 5.25% subordinated perpetual capital securities under the programme
- Advised HSBC, J.P. Morgan and Mizuho as managers in relation to the issue of USD$1.2 billion 5.75% guaranteed senior perpetual capital securities by NWD Finance (BVI) Limited and guaranteed by New World Development Company Limited.
- Advised the joint lead managers and trustee on the issue of USD$300 million 6.5% undated non-cumulative subordinated additional Tier 1 Capital Securities
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Oxford University (BA) 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2003
- Oxford University (MA) 2009
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2010
- Partner since 2011
- Matt participates in a number of industry bodies, notably working with ASIFMA and the HKICPA on revisions to auditing standards and arrangements for capital markets transactions in Hong Kong. He also has participated in cross-industry consultations on bank and other financial institution resolution reform in Hong Kong.
- Matt is an active supporter of diversity issues and a key leader of the Clifford Chance global Arcus network for its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) colleagues and their allies. Arcus aims to encourage and foster an inclusive environment at Clifford Chance that gives colleagues the choice to be open and out in all of our offices.
Awards and citations
- Matt has consistently been ranked as a Leading Lawyer by Chambers, Legal 500 and IFLR. Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 highlighted him as "one of the top English lawyers in Asia … he deals with banks and issuers very well."