Jimmy Chan is a member of the Asia Pacific Regulatory Group.
Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Jimmy spent 14 years with the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission (SFC), where he served as Director and Head of International and Policy of the Enforcement Division. He has substantial experience in SFC disciplinary proceedings involving financial intermediaries, international cross-border securities investigations and listed company investigations.
Jimmy was a litigation lawyer in private practice before his SFC career. He is a contributing editor of Sweet & Maxwell’s Securities and Futures Ordinance: Commentary and Annotations.
Since joining Clifford Chance in 2018, Jimmy has acted for various listed companies and licensed intermediaries in relation to SFC's enquiries, investigations and licensing related matters.
Experience prior to joining Clifford Chance includes:
- Cross-border securities investigations - worked with international financial regulators, including the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the US SEC, the UK Financial Conduct Authority, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the Financial Services Agency of Japan, the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Securities Commission Malaysia among others, and handled cross-border investigatory and enforcement actions.
- SFC disciplinary proceedings – Handled disciplinary proceedings involving financial intermediaries (sponsors’ issues, mis-selling issues, internal controls issues, etc.) and represented the SFC before the Securities and Futures Appeals Tribunal. Closely involved in the Lehman Brothers Minibond resolution with banks.
- Stock Connect with China – closely involved in the setting up of the CSRC-SFC enforcement cooperation arrangements in connection with Mainland China-Hong Kong Stock Connect. Handled the first CSRC-SFC enforcement collaboration under the Stock Connect where the market manipulator was fined RMB 1.2 billion (around US$154 million) by the CSRC.
- Collaboration with Hong Kong regulators – represented the SFC Enforcement Division in liaison meetings with the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, the Insurance Authority, the Customs and Excise Department and Mandatory Provident Funds Authority in relation to enforcement and anti-money laundering issues.
- International enforcement collaboration – represented Hong Kong SFC at Committee 4 (Enforcement and the Exchange of Information) of the International Organization of Securities Commissions. Negotiated bilateral and multilateral MOUs with international financial regulators.
- Domestic policy matters – handled miscellaneous policy matters including: SFC Code of Conduct and legislative amendments concerning enforcement and participated in various cross-divisional policy projects.
- IMF Financial Sector Assessment Program (FSAP) review and Financial Action Task Force (FATF) review – prepared responses regarding Enforcement-related principle for FSAP and FATF reviews.
- Civil litigation – acted for banks and listed companies management in Hong Kong civil and arbitration proceedings.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Hong Kong (Bachelor of Laws and Postgraduate Certificate in Laws) 1997
- University College London (Master of Laws in Commercial and Corporate Law (Merit)) 1998
- Peking University (Bachelor of Chinese Law (External degree)) 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2000
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2001
- Harvard Law School (Master of Laws) 2018
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2018
Awards and citations
- Clifford Chance's team was recently bolstered by the arrival of Jimmy Chan, formerly a director at Hong Kong's Securities and Futures Commission (SFC)
Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Regulatory – Hong Kong, 2020
- SFC Outstanding Contribution Award – Individual Award (securities and futures appellate work)
- SFC Employee Award – Individual Award (Lehman Brothers Minibond-related resolution)
- British Chevening Scholarship
- Harvard University HKJC Graduate Scholarship