Tony Reeves advises major companies in a wide range of industries on competition, trade and EU law, and specialises in particular in EU and multi-jurisdictional merger notifications, abuse of market power, cartels, and distribution and licensing practices.
Tony has written for numerous legal publications and is recognised as a leading competition lawyer by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and other major industry guides. Tony has also acted as a non-governmental advisor to the International Competition Network (ICN).
- Advised Citigroup on:
- the acquisition of EMI
- the subsequent USD$1.9 billion sale of EMI Recorded Music to Universal (Phase II investigation)
- the USD$2.2 billion sale of EMI Music Publishing to a consortium led by Sony
- Advised GE on over 100 acquisitions and joint ventures, including:
- the USD$9.5 billion acquisition of Amersham
- the USD$3.1 billion acquisition of Alstom (cleared in Phase II with remedies)
- the USD$32 billion acquisition of Baker Hughes
- the USD$3.4 billion sale of GE Water & Process Technologies to Suez
- the USD$2.6 billion sale of GE Industrial Solutions to ABB
- Advised Pfizer on:
- its USD$68 billion acquisition of Wyeth
- its USD$3.6 billion acquisition of King Pharmaceuticals
- the USD$11.85 billion sale of its nutrition business to Nestlé
- Advised Staples on its acquisition of Office Depot before the European Commission (cleared in Phase II with remedies)
- Advised Toll Group in the European Commission's freight forwarding cartel investigation
- Advised GE Aviation on the successful negotiation of a commercial settlement agreement between IATA and CFM International, a 50/50 joint venture between GE and Safran Aircraft Engines, based on which IATA withdrew the complaint it had made to the European Commission.
AS&H in cooperation with Clifford Chance advised Saudi Basic Industries Corporation on the acquisition of an additional 25% stake in, and extension of the term of, its joint venture in Saudi Methanol Company (Ar-Razi) with the Japan Saudi Arabia Methanol Company Inc.
23 October 2019
Clifford Chance advising SABIC on proposed acquisition of strategic stake in Clariant from 40 North and Corvex
29 January 2018
Clifford Chance advises General Electric on the sale of GE Industrial Solutions to ABB
28 September 2017
Clifford Chance advises General Electric on Baker Hughes merger and GE Water sale
20 July 2017
Clifford Chance advises General Electric on its proposed acquisition of Alstom
8 September 2015
Clifford Chance advises DSM on proposed acquisition of Aland
16 July 2014
Clifford Chance advises Pfizer on the Divestment of its Nutrition Business To Nestlé
24 April 2012
Career and qualifications
- University of Glasgow (Scots Law LLB) 1990
- University College London (LLM EC Law) 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1995
- Transferred to the Brussels office 1995
- Member of the Brussels Bar 1995
- Partner since 2003
- Head of European Competition and Regulation Group, Brussels 2008 - Present
- Brussels Office Managing Partner 2010 - 2014
- Admitted as an avocat in Brussels 2018
- Member of the ABA (American Bar Association)
- Member of the Brussels Bar
Awards and citations
- "Tony Reeves has a very strong merger clearance practice. Clients describe him as 'very smart and a great strategist' and highlight his 'responsiveness, technical knowledge and excellent client service.'"
Chambers Europe 2018
- "Brussels competition lead Tony Reeves is 'one of the most experienced European antitrust experts around.'"
Legal 500 EMEA 2017
- "An extremely pleasant man and one of the smartest lawyers in Europe."
Chambers Europe 2016
- Merger Control Matter of the Year: GE/Alstom
Global Competition Review (GCR) Awards 2016