Bert De Maeyer leads the banking and finance practice of the Brussels office, of which he is also the managing partner. He advises both borrowers and lenders on a broad range of finance transactions including syndicated loans, bid finance, leveraged transactions, project and infrastructure finance, real estate finance, insolvency and restructuring. He also acts for contractors, investors, lenders and multilateral institutions on projects spanning all sectors and asset types.
Bert is a member of industry organisations AEDBF (Association Européenne pour le Droit Bancaire et Financier), ABF (Avocats en Droit Boursier et Financier) and IPFA (International Project Finance Association), and he is recognised as a leading figure in banking and projects by major directories such as Chambers, IFLR 1000, Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal.
- Advised EQT on the financing of its acquisition of mobile filtration technology provider Desotec from AAC Capital.
- Advised the EIB on the financing, alongside commercial banks, of the 370MW Norther windfarm off the coast of Belgium.
- Advised the Belgian State on the implementation of a guarantee scheme for operators of nuclear installations and transporters of nuclear waste. This scheme aims to address the gap created by the insurance market's inability to fully cover the liability imposed on operators and transporters following the entry into force of the 2004 Protocol amending the Paris Convention.
- Advised BNP Paribas Fortis on the restructuring, recapitalisation and refinancing of Hamon, a listed cooling tower and air treatment group.
Clifford Chance advised the lenders on the financing of the acquisition of Van Neerbos Groep by Intergamma
19 July 2018
Clifford Chance a conseillé les prêteurs dans le cadre de l'acquisition d'Ablynx par Sanofi pour 3,9 milliards d'euros
5 February 2018
Clifford Chance advises KBC Bank on pan-jurisdictional EUR 90 million revolving credit facility for Fieldlink
17 December 2013
EU directive on restructuring frameworks: The same, but different?
26 June 2019
Loan trading across the globe
10 July 2018
Entry into force of the law of 2013 on security over moveable assets
11 December 2017
New Belgian Insolvency Rules
6 November 2017
European Proposal for the harmonisation of restructuring law
29 November 2016
Career and qualifications
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (JD, Law) 1999
- University of California Los Angeles (LLM) 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Admitted as an avocat in Brussels 2003
- Partner since 2010
- Brussels Office Managing Partner since 2014
- AEDBF (Association Européenne pour le Droit Bancaire et Financier)
- ABF (Avocats en Droit Boursier et Financier)
- IPFA (International Project Finance Association)
Awards and citations
- "Extremely strong in bringing complex questions in an understandable but very firm way onto the negotiating table."
Chambers Europe 2017, Banking & Finance
- "The firm has without any doubt the best finance team in Belgium."
IFLR 1000 2019, Banking & Finance
- Named as a Market Leader
IFLR 1000 2019, Restructuring and insolvency, Banking, Project Finance