Dave Poddar has over 20 years' experience in competition/antitrust law and heads the firm's Asia-Pacific antitrust practice. He has worked on significant clearances for Australian M&A and international joint ventures and alliances. Dave has also worked on infrastructure access and regulatory matters as well as advising on competition agency investigations and cartel matters.
Dave has been a Non-Government Advisor to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) on merger processes for a number of years. Dave also leads the firm's telecommunications, media and technology sector in Asia Pacific.
Dave is a member of our global Antitrust Risk team.
- Australian home improvement retailers Bunnings on various acquisitions in the hardware, home improvement and outdoor leisure sector
- Emirates on its partnership with Qantas and the associated authorisations and regulatory approvals processes
- alternative equity trading operator Chi-X on competition and access issues associated with the establishment of its securities exchange in Australia
- SABMiller on the A$12 billion Foster’s Group takeover and acquisition of the remaining 50% of Pacific Beverages, including foreign investment approval
Clifford Chance advises MBK Partners and TPG on proposed WTT HK and HKBN merger
9 August 2018
Clifford Chance and AS&H advise leading Saudi chemicals producer Cristal on cross border sale of titanium dioxide business
26 February 2017
Clifford Chance advises Allied Mills on its sale to Pacific Equity Partners
8 February 2017
Clifford Chance acting for Mondelēz International on the sale of VEGEMITE and other iconic brands
19 January 2017
Clifford Chance advises Menulog Group on AUD$855 million acquisition by Just Eat
12 May 2015
Clifford Chance advises Apache on sale of LNG projects
16 December 2014
- Developments in competition law in Australia in 2018
17 September 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Adelaide (BEc) 1988, (LLB) 1989
- Admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales, Australia 1989
- Partner Mallesons Stephen Jaques 1998
- Partner Allen & Overy 2011
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2013
- Co-Chair, Antitrust Committee, International Bar Association,
- Member of the Advisory Board of the University of South Australia, Centre for Regulation and Market Analysis
- Senior Fellow, Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA)
- Member of FINSIA’s Policy Advisory Council
Awards and citations
- He draws praise as "a leading expert in the field" who is "very plugged in to where competition law is going" and "very switched-on about what the ACCC is thinking."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020
- Dave Poddar (is) ‘among the leading competition lawyers in Australia’ and his ‘knowledge of the law is second to none’. The practice ‘continually provides an outstanding service and is always very responsive’.
Legal 500 2019, Dispute Resolution – Australia
- Band 2 Individual
He draws praise as "a leading expert in the field" who is "very plugged in to where competition law is going" and "very switched-on about what the ACCC is thinking."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Competition/Antitrust – Australia