Peter Avery specialises in finance and banking law. His areas of practice include project finance, leverage finance, restructuring, Islamic finance, asset finance and corporate lending.
In addition to Dubai, Peter has worked in the firm's London, New York and Tokyo offices and has experience of high profile transactions across the globe.
Clifford Chance advise Standard Chartered Bank, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, Noor Bank and Gulf Bank Kuwait on US$457 million Abu Dhabi's Reem Mall financing
4 December 2017
Clifford Chance advises Kuwait National Petroleum Company on world's largest ECA financing for corporate purposes
1 June 2017
Clifford Chance advising Kuwait National Petroleum Company on its multi-billion Clean Fuels Project
21 March 2016
Clifford Chance advises ENOC on its US$1.5 billion syndicated loan facility
22 June 2015
Clifford Chance advises Mannai Corporation QSC on its acquisition of a 35% stake in Axiom Limited
29 June 2011
Opportunities for private real estate debt in the UAE and KSA
27 May 2018
New Mortgage Law in UAE – briefing on key issues
27 February 2017
Dubai's New PPP Law
14 January 2016
Perspectives on the New CCL - What do lenders need to know?
1 June 2015
Introduction to Islamic project finance
29 April 2013
Career and qualifications
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge University (MA Hons) 1988
- Law Society Finals (1st Class honors) 1991
- Articled at Clifford Chance in London
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Seconded to Tokyo from 1996 to 1999 and from 2001
- Registered foreign lawyer in Japan 2001
- Partner since 2002
- Seconded to Dubai from 2006
- Insolvency Lawyers Association
Awards and citations
- Peter Avery advises on a range of banking and finance matters including refinancing and corporate finance. He advises on conventional and Islamic banking and his clients include major international lenders.
Chambers Global 2016: Banking & Finance – UAE
- Dubai-based Peter Avery leads on a number of high-value financings for major projects in the region and he is appreciated by clients for his knowledge of the field.
Chambers Global 2016: Projects & Energy – Middle East
- Client feedback – "Peter Avery is very good indeed."
IFLR1000 2016: Financial & Corporate – UAE
- Clifford Chance advised HSBC on the inaugural £200m sukuk issuance by HM Treasury in the UK, and also advised Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank and a syndicate of banks on the AED1.2bn shari’ah-compliant ijara financing for the construction and development of the Marvel/Cartoon Network Theme Park. Global practice head Qudeer Latif, Peter Avery and Debashis Dey are the key contacts.
Legal 500 2015: Islamic Finance – UAE
- Sources are quick to single out Peter Avery as a "solid, hands-on partner" with experience across the gamut of project, leveraged and asset finance transactions. Highlights include advising Zain on an USD800 million revolving credit facility.
Chambers Global 2015: Banking & Finance – UAE
- Peter Avery is a based in the Dubai office and focuses on banking and finance matters. He has additional expertise in construction and project development mandates.
Chambers Global 2015: Projects & Energy – Middle East