James McCarthy specialises in advising regional and international clients on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings and public takeovers, particularly in the UAE.
James has advised on some of the highest profile transactions in the region and has a particular focus on the consumer goods and retail sector.
- Mannai Corporation QSC on its recommended US$445 million bid to acquire Damas International Limited
M&A Deal of the Year – IFLR Middle East Awards
- the Dubai World group (including Nakheel, Limitless and Dubai World) in connection with its restructuring and the demerger of Nakheel
Restructuring Deal of the Year – IFLR Middle East Awards
Clifford Chance Paris advises Mannai Corporation QPSC on its buy-out offer followed by a squeeze-out on Gfi Informatique
14 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises Mannai Corporation on the completion of its acquisition of a majority stake in Gfi Informatique
4 July 2016
Clifford Chance conseille Mannai Corporation sur son projet d’acquisition de 51% du capital et des droits de vote de Gfi Informatique
24 November 2015
Clifford Chance advises DP World on proposed US$2.6 billion acquisition of Economic Zones World FZE and proposed delisting from the London Stock Exchange
18 November 2014
Clifford Chance advises Mannai on its acquisition of a further stake in Damas
13 March 2014
Global M&A Toolkit
- James talks about the drivers and trends in M&A in the Consumer Goods and Retail sector in the Middle East (Jun 2013)
The new DIFC Companies Law: key changes and what it means for your business
29 November 2018
Dawn of a new tax era - corporate perspectives
12 February 2018
UAE Competition Law Update: Implications for M&A Transactions
23 March 2017
Redomiciliation to the DIFC – Key regulatory and process considerations
15 September 2016
UAE Ministry of Economy issues guidance on application of the Commercial Companies Law to LLCs
2 June 2016
Career and qualifications
- Van Mildert College, University of Durham, (LLB, Law) 2000
- Joined Clifford Chance 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Partner since 2012
- The Law Society of England and Wales
Awards and citations
- James McCarthy focuses on corporate structuring and M&A matters across the Middle East. Sources comment: "He is outstanding on local company law issues and offers international service but with local law knowledge."
Chambers Global, Corporate/M&A – UAE, 2016
- Clifford Chance continued to see its fair share of high-end deals, with James McCarthy advising DP World on the $2.6bn acquisition of Economic Zones World from Port and Free Zone World.
Legal 500 2016
- "On one of the team’s largest transactions James McCarthy led, advising DP World on the acquisition of Economic Zones World FZE from Port and Free Zone World for $2.6 billion"
IFLR 1000 2015: UAE Banking & Finance