Debbie Walker specialises in banking and project finance.
Debbie's areas of practice include project finance, Islamic finance, secured and unsecured lending and restructuring. Debbie has acted on a number of high profile banking, project finance and restructuring deals in the Middle East region.
- Advised Dubai International Capital LLC on its highly complex USD$2.4 billion restructuring. DIC is one of the investment companies owned by the Ruler with investments in numerous well known international companies. The restructuring involved a complex overhaul of governance and management incentive arranagements and provision of shareholder support as well as an override of the company's existing bank facilities.
- Advised Nakheel PJSC on the successful restructuring of liabilities in a total amount in excess of US$16 billion and simultaneous de-merger from the Dubai World group. The separation of the Nakheel PJSC group and the Dubai World group, being such intricatelty linked organisations with cross shareholders and shared functions, was a huge undertaking. The restructuring also featured the conversion of interim funding provided by the Government of Dubai into equity, resulting in a capital increase of unprecedented size for a UAE private company.
Restructuring Deal of the Year – ALB The Brief Middle East Law Awards
Restructuring Deal of the Year – IFLR Middle East Awards
- Advised Dubai Electricity and Water Authority on the entry into of a framework agreement which provided DEWA with the flexibility to finance certain projects and the purchase of good and services under certain contracts using support from various export credit agencies. The agreement was the first of its kind. Debbie also advised DEWA on the entry into of various financing facilities under the framework agreement.
- Advised the commercial lenders in relation to the development and financing of a petrochemicals plant in Al-Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, with total project costs of approximately US$5.2 billion. Loans were sourced from a syndicate of international commercial banks and regional banks with a portion of the loans being backed by a guarantee from US-Exim.
Clifford Chance and AS&H advise on a US$1.9 billion refinancing package for Arabian Centres Company
6 January 2020
Clifford Chance advising Buyers on AED1 billion acquisition of Byrne Group in the GCC
23 April 2018
Clifford Chance advises Nakheel on landmark restructuring
29 August 2011
Career and qualifications
- University of Nottingham (LLB Hons) 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance (London) as a trainee 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2003
- Moved to Dubai 2003
- Partner since 2012
Awards and citations
- “Debbie Walker is an esteemed partner at the firm whose main focus is in banking and project finance. Sources identify her as strong in restructuring and she also has significant experience in Islamic finance as well as secured and unsecured lending. One client commended her for being "very competent and easy-going, she can express complex things simply." She is also recognised for her knowledge and experience of Oman"
Global Chambers 2019
- Debbie Walker is active in project and Islamic finance, secured and unsecured lending and restructuring. Clients comment: "Debbie is brilliant, a combination of strong technically and very strong commercially as well - that rare mix of both. She dealt with some very difficult work very impressively."
Chambers Global 2014: UAE - Banking & Finance (Band 1)
- Debbie Walker is notably active on the Nakheel restructuring.Clients praise her "very knowledgeable, patient and practical approach."
Chambers Global 2013: Banking and Finance UAE