Nick O'Neill is a partner in the firm's international regulatory practice, specialising in advising on banking and investment services regulation in the UK and more generally across the EU – including in relation to securities and structured products, banking and treasury service products and arrangements, wealth management activities and asset management and funds.
Nick has extensive experience of working with a range of the firm's major bank and investment bank clients on own account mergers and acquisitions and on their own internal reorganisations. He also regularly advises on the development of financial product offerings for UK and European markets (both retail and institutional products), and on developing compliance, governance and risk management policies for the firm’s financial services clients.
In the US he works closely alongside our New York and Washington DC partners to ensure that we provide comprehensive international regulatory advice to our US based clients – advice which aims to be comparative between the often overlapping regulatory regimes that our clients now face as they seek to implement business models and compliance arrangements that can work effectively across the globe.
US SEC Issues Three ‘No Action' Letters on MIFID2 Research Unbundling
26 October 2017
US Considerations for Transition Away from LIBOR
2 August 2017
MiFID2 – the impact on non-EU firms
24 March 2017
24 August 2016
ESMA issues more advice on extending the AIFMD passport to non-EU managers
25 July 2016
Career and qualifications
- Cambridge University
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 1997
- Partner since 2000
- Seconded to the New York Office 2012
- Legal Consultant, admitted in England & Wales only
- Nick is an active member of Clifford Chance’s Diversity Committee in the Americas. He is the regional Chair of Arcus, Clifford Chance’s network for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) individuals, an organization with which he has been involved for over a decade.
Awards and citations
- Nick is recognized in Legal 500 USA for his work in both the Financial Services Regulatory and Private Funds space.