Laurence’s practice focuses on national security and regulatory compliance for international trade, investment, and financial transactions.
This includes strategic analysis and filings before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), and export control laws such as the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Mr. Hull regularly works with multinational companies to analyze and draft policies and procedures, assess regulatory risk and provide compliance training. Mr. Hull is also a certified data privacy and cyber security specialist (CIPP/US).
- Providing pre-acquisition analysis for clients and transaction teams regarding potential CFIUS risk and mitigation strategies
- Conducting due diligence on corporate acquisitions and transactions for CFIUS, sanctions, export controls, and anti-bribery/AML issues, as well as advising on and negotiating appropriate transactional agreements
- Reviewing and drafting export control and sanctions policies and procedures for a global aerospace company and developing accompanying training.
- Coordinating and drafting ITAR filings with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Conducting export control compliance analysis for a multinational telecommunications company in the midst of a multijurisdictional investigation
- Performing extensive export control license analysis and strategic advice on cutting edge technology for a multinational corporation
- Examining and classifying encryption products for a multinational consumer goods company
- Researching and drafting substantive comments for a high-tech industry association on changes to the United States Munitions List
- Coordinating and drafting CFIUS filings and responding to CFIUS’ inquiries during the review and investigation periods
- Developing a prototype CFIUS Proximity Review System to increase the accuracy and reliability of proximity checks, while increasing the speed and reducing the expense of proximity checks by 75%
- Advising clients and transaction teams on legal and strategic issues throughout the CFIUS review process, including stakeholder engagement
- Negotiating and analyzing mitigation measures proposed by CFIUS during the review process
- Coordinating and managing CFIUS filings in concert with a parallel review of the transaction by Team Telecom
- Conducting investigations into possible sanctions and export control violations and making voluntary disclosures to regulatory authorities.
- Preparing OFAC license applications for corporate entities and financial institutions
- Designing a tailor-made sanctions training presentation for an Indian conglomerate
- Counseling an international financial institution on sanctions compliance for flagged transactions
- Conducting sanctions due diligence for one of the world’s largest mining companies in a high-risk jurisdiction
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Morehouse College (BA) 2012
- Harvard Law School (JD) 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 2016
- Society for International Affairs (SIA)