Karina Bashir’s practice focuses on emerging environmental, social, and governance (ESG) regulatory, enforcement, and litigation issues, including greenwashing disclosure and litigation, AML and FCPA compliance and internal investigations, CFIUS analyses and disclosures, and international human rights considerations for financial institutions.
Karina leverages extensive experience in the Middle East from her time spent there as a Fulbright Scholar and community organizer, as well as her work as a Gates Cambridge Scholar, to understand and help advise clients on complex emerging social, governance, and other issues. She is fluent in Urdu and Arabic and assists with pro bono matters focused on international human rights and immigration. Karina contributes extensively to Clifford Chance ESG publications and presentations including a Clifford Chance Climate Lawyer podcast discussing greenwashing and ways for companies committed to ESG to proactively address escalating US litigation and enforcement risks.
- conducting a broad internal investigation for a large EU bank regarding historical AML and OFAC compliance, supporting the client in responding to US government inquiries, and assisting with numerous ongoing EU criminal and regulatory enquiries
- assisting with presentations to large international investment banks on the risks to companies and board members of greenwashing litigation in the United States
- advising US investment managers on their implementation of SEC-compliant ESG programs, including with respect to marketing materials, GRI-compliant Corporate Sustainability Reports, UN PRI submissions, and written supervisory procedures
- conducting a broad internal investigation for European financial institution regarding historical AML compliance, supporting in cooperation with the US authorities as well as assisting with numerous ongoing criminal and regulatory enquiries in Europe
- advising clients on the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) national security review process for foreign acquisitions in the United States
News and client work
- 2022 Brings ESG Disclosure Challenges For Asset Managers, Law360 Expert Analysis
- Foreign Direct Investment Guide, United States, December 2021
- Clifford Chance, Washington D.C.
- +1 202 912 5010
- Email me
- Speaks Urdu (native), Arabic (fluent), English (native)
- Practice area Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management
Career and qualifications
- The University of Michigan (BA, International Studies) 2013
- University of Cambridge (Masters, Philosophy, International Relations and Politics) 2016
- The University of California Berkeley, School of Law (JD, Berkely Journal of International Law) 2020
- Joined Clifford Chance 2021
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 2022