Jay Bernstein leads the permanent capital vehicle, REIT and specialty finance areas for Clifford Chance in the US. He has also served as Chair of the Firm’s US Corporate Finance group for more than ten years. His practice is focused on the creation of innovative permanent capital vehicles. He represents clients in both domestic and international markets, sponsors, investors, investment banks, specialty finance companies, REITs and clean energy and other companies in their capital raising and merger and acquisition activities. He is recognized in the US market as a true innovator and the person to turn to when any real asset company is looking to break new ground or implement new strategies or market firsts. He has a long and successful track record of guiding clients through many truly transformative transactions. Over the past 20 years, he has participated in more than $50 billion in capital raising, fund formation, strategic joint ventures, platform formations and mergers and acquisitions for clients around the globe. He has been ranked as a top tier lawyer for REITs in the Chambers USA guide and Legal 500 USA since 2009.
News and client work
- The Tokenization of the St. Regis Aspen Resort
Speaker, January 16, live webinar
- Special Real Estate Family Office Meeting – Opportunity Zones: The Opportunity of Opportunity Zones
Moderator, December 12, 2018
Career and qualifications
- Lake Forest College (BA, with highest honors) 1981
- Boston University School of Law (JD, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) 1984
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1985
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Partner 1995-2020
Awards and citations
- Jay Bernstein has been ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA: REITs. He is known across the US as an exceptional REITs practitioner. Clients declare that "he's an extraordinary lawyer; he brings a tremendous level of experience to the table."
Chambers USA 2019 - REITs (Nationwide)
- Jay Bernstein has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers USA - REITs (Nationwide). One source notes that Jay Bernstein is "one of the most creative lawyers around" and someone who "thinks outside the box for his roster of great clients." He has a wealth of experience in relation to the formation of hospitality and real estate investment funds.
Chambers USA 2017 - REITs