David Evans is the co-head of the Americas Energy & Projects Group at Clifford Chance US LLP.
David has been involved in energy and finance matters his entire career, including positions as Chevron's chief natural gas lawyer, Vice President and General Counsel of an independent power developer, and as a partner in two major law firms. His current practice primarily involves representing lenders to, investors in, and developers of energy and infrastructure projects.
He also advises clients on energy regulatory matters in the United States, including the Federal Power Act, the Natural Gas Act, the Atomic Energy Act , and the Energy Policy Act.
- U.S. Department of Energy as programmatic and transactional counsel for the Loan Guarantee Program under Title XVII of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, including advising DOE as Guarantor of the Shepherds Flat, Fotowatio, Desert Sunlight, Ormat-Nevada, Photon, Amp, Solar Strong, Genesis, Bishop Hill, Spring Valley, Granite Reliable Power and Topaz renewable energy projects
- Samchully Asset Management Company in the acquisition of a one-third interest in a New Mexico power project and related long-term power sales to Freeport McMoRan
- Samchully Asset Management Company in the acquisition of partial ownership of a gas-gathering system in Ohio, serving Marcellus shale properties
- Shell on its acquisition of Repsol's LNG assets in Peru, mexico and Trinidad
- Eletrobras on acquisition of wind power assets in the U.S.
- European utilities on potential acquisition of utility assets in the United States, incljuding "Generation 3" nuclear power
- Matelec on the financing by the IFC of the Kounoune (Senegal), Thika (Kenya) and Tobene (Senegal) independent power projects
- Conduit Capital Partners LLC on development and subsequent sale to Odebrecht of its interest in the US$1.4 billion Gasoducto Andino del Sur gas pipeline in Peru
Clifford Chance named "Best International Counsel – Projects" by Chambers Latin America
29 November 2017
Clifford Chance advises ENGIE on the sale of assets to Total creating second largest global LNG player
9 November 2017
Clifford Chance advises U.S. Department of Energy on world's largest wind farm
4 January 2011
Renewable Incentives Guide: Towards a Subsidy-Free World? 6th Edition
28 November 2018
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Issues Rule On Electric Storage Participation In Regional Markets
23 March 2018
Trump Administration Releases Long Awaited Infrastructure Plan
21 February 2018
Department of Energy Proposes Controversial Grid Resiliency Pricing Rule
19 January 2018
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Rejects Department of Energy's Proposed Rule
19 January 2018
Career and qualifications
- Boston University (BS, summa cum laude) 1975
- University of Maine (JD, cum laude) 1978
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in Maine 1978
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 1980
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2007
- Partner 1998 - 2018
- Consultant since 2018
- Energy Bar Association
Awards and citations
- David Evans has been ranked in Chambers USA - Projects (Nationwide). The "very talented" David Evans represents developers, lenders and governments on a broad spectrum of energy and infrastructure projects. He has experience working on traditional power and oil and gas-related projects.
Chambers USA 2017 - Projects