Ben Berringer represents clients in government investigations and complex commercial litigation. He has specific experience in private fund litigation, as well as complex trading and market issues. Ben has represented individuals and corporations in connection with regulatory investigations before the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the United States Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, and numerous non-US regulators.
Ben also has extensive experience representing and advising corporations on litigation and regulatory matters arising under US privacy and data protection laws.
- Represented the investment management arm of a major financial institution in connection with a federal lawsuit alleging that it improperly used information obtained from a private equity firm and in connection with a related arbitration.
- Represented a private equity firm in an SEC investigation into expense allocation.
- Represented a major financial institution in US court and an associated case in London arising out of a cross-border debt financing transaction.
- Represented a major financial institution in connection with numerous class actions and regulatory investigations alleging manipulation of LIBOR and other interest rate benchmarks.
- Represented multinational consumer goods company in connection with two substantial data breaches. Advised the client regarding notification and remediation process, as well as in response to multiple inquiries from data privacy regulators in the U.S. and several foreign jurisdictions.
- Advised an international technology company on implications under US law of major data breach.
- Cyber and Data Privacy Due Diligence
Global Investigations Review, The Guide to Cyber Investigations, 2019
FTC's $5 Billion Penalty Against Facebook: Momentum Builds For Increased U.S. Regulatory Focus On Data Privacy
14 August 2019
OCIE Risk Alert Highlights Key Regulation S-P Requirements for SEC Registered Entities
7 May 2019
Looking Ahead to Whistleblower Protections in 2019 - Is Your Financial Institution Prepared for Anticipated Changes to Whistleblower Protections?
26 March 2019
CFTC Declines to Appeal Sharply Worded Rejection of its Bid to Expand the Offense of Price Manipulation
28 February 2019
Final Transitional Period Under DFS Cybersecurity Regulations Ends March 1, 2019
6 February 2019
Career and qualifications
- Williams College (BA Political Science and Economics, cum laude) 2006
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (MSC Economics) 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Admitted as Attorney-at-Law in New York 2012
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in United States District Court for the Southern District of New York 2012
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Counsel
Awards and citations
- Next Generation Lawyer
Legal 500 USA 2019: Dispute Resolution - Securities Litigation (Defense)