* Clifford Chance Asia is a Formal Law Alliance in Singapore between Clifford Chance Pte Ltd and Cavenagh Law LLP
Ali Burney focuses on international economic sanctions, export controls, anti-money laundering (AML), and anti-bribery & corruption (ABC) compliance matters. Prior to joining the Singapore office, Ali was at Clifford Chance's Washington, DC office where he represented clients in front of US sanctions and export control enforcement agencies.
Ali has over 10 years of experience advising on and conducting internal investigations relating to US economic sanctions, US export controls and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). He frequently advises on complex cross-border deals relating to sanctions compliance issues arising from investments in Iran, Russia, and other sanctioned countries. He also advises on ABC and AML matters arising from M&A activity in South East Asia, China, and Africa.
Prior to joining the firm, he was at the US Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- US sanctions and export controls counsel to major international banks, logistics companies, commodity trading companies, and oil & gas companies
- FCPA counsel to financial institutions and corporate operating in West Africa and South East Asia
- Representing major European and Middle Eastern banks in relation to regulatory investigations arising from alleged violations of OFAC sanctions programs.
- Representing a major European company in relation to a regulatory investigation arising from alleged violations of US sanctions and export controls.
- Representing a major South American airline in relation to a regulatory investigation by the US Department of Commerce.
- Representing a major Asia-based telecommunications equipment manufacturing company in relation to alleged violations of US sanctions and export controls.
- Due diligence on highly complex M&A transactions in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa related to sanctions, AML, and anti-bribery and corruption issues
Clifford Chance advises ICG Strategic Equity on portfolio acquisition in conjunction with the MBO of Standard Chartered Bank's Private Equity Unit
18 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises Mitsui & Co., Principal Investments and L Catterton Asia on acquisition of stake in eyewear company OWNDAYS
16 November 2018
Clifford Chance advises The Carlyle Group on its first investment into the banking sector in Nigeria
27 November 2014
Time for Japan to Take a Tougher Stance on Foreign Bribery
15 October 2019
Why Hong Kong is China's Sanctions Hot Spot
26 September 2019
OFAC Announces Nicaragua Sanctions Regulations
5 September 2019
Debarment: Asia Pacific Raises the Bar on Public Procurement
26 August 2019
Caveat Emptor – OFAC Fines Creditor for Buying SDN's Troubled Debt
19 August 2019
Career and qualifications
- University of London (Masters in Law in International Banking Law)1998
- Albany Law School (JD) 2001
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in the District of Columbia 2002
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2002