Wijnanda Rutten specializes in advising employers, pension administrators and pension providers (pension funds, insurance companies, PPI's and IORPs) on national and international pension issues, including the establishment, amendment, transfer and closure of pension plans and providers. She also is a specialist in pension fund governance, an experienced litigator and transactional specialist.
View more client work by this author
- Assisting Amundi in the structuring, setting up, documenting and implementation of its (fully open-end) Luxembourg based IORP platform, including the coordination over multiple jurisdictions (currently including Belgium, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom as well as a pension scheme covering non-European jurisdictions).
- Assiting Credit Suisse & Swiss Re on the structuring, set up and pension documentation of a Dutch "premiepensioeninstelling" (PPI, subject to the IORP directive), as well as their Dutch joint venture servicing company in the legal form of a European Company (Societé Européenne).
- Assisting Holland America Line N.V. in their discussions with Dutch industry-wide pension fund BPFK and unions on reaching an agreement for the alternative pension provision for non-Dutch seafarers.
Career and qualifications
University of Amsterdam (Law) 1990
- Various pension providers and Towers Watson 1990 - 2004
- Admitted to the Dutch Bar in 2004
- Allen & Overy LLP 2004 - 2014
- Deputy Judge at the Higher Court of Justice since 2008 (first in Amsterdam, currently in Den Bosch)
- Joined Clifford Chance in 2014 as Senior Counsel
Member of the Board of Advice and Editorial Board of PBM (Pensioen Bestuur & Management)
- Member of KPS (Kring van Pensioenspecialisten)
- Member of VVP (Vereniging voor Pensioenrecht)
- Member of IPEBLA (International Pension and Employee Benefits Association)
- Member of the Dutch association of non-executives with pension funds (VITP)
- Member of the advisory committee on pension law of the Dutch Bar
- Lecturer on pension law at the Grotius Academy
Awards and citations
- Wijnanda Rutten is recognised for her specialised knowledge in matters related to pensions, including harmonisation and disputes about the closure of pension plans. Market commentators emphasise her "very strong reputation and very broad practice in pensions law," also observing that "she is very thorough."
Chambers Europe 2020