Professor Rick Verhagen is a senior advisor in the Banking & Finance practice of our office in Amsterdam. He specialises in secured lending, derivatives, securities custody and securitisation/covered bonds, restructurings and insolvency. He is familiar with both the domestic and international laws relating to these key areas.
When he's not giving legal advice, Rick is a professor of Private International Law at the Radboud University (Nijmegen). He also gives guest lectures on a variety of subjects at the Grotius Academie and is head of the Grotius specialists' course 'Finance and Security'.
- Advised leading counsel in Yukos-case (2013) before Supreme Court on recognition powers of foreign insolvency liquidator (won by our client)
- Gave expert opinion in Cascal-case (2012) before Enterprise Court on question whether account holders in DTC-system can be characterised as shareholders for the purposes of buy-out of minority shareholders (won by our client)
News and client work
- Rick has published books and articles on for example assignment, agency, book-entry securities, property law, restitution and insolvency law, in leading international academic journals including International and Comparative Law Quarterly, and European Review of Private Law.
- Rick is the co-author of the Volume "Private International Law in the leading 'Asser-series'."
Career and qualifications
- Radboud Universiteit (Law) 1985
- Radboud Universiteit: Lecturer 1985-1991
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Admitted as an advocaat to the Dutch Bar 1991
- Radboud Universiteit: Professor since 1996
- Clifford Chance: Senior advisor since 1996
- Member of the Curatorium of the Business & Law Research Centre (Radboud University)