Marian Scheele specialises in the financial regulatory and legal aspects of financial institutions, with a focus on Fintechs (incl. banks, payment service providers, crypto and blockchain companies) and asset managers (incl. fund managers and funds). She leads the Fintech Team and co-leads the Funds Team of Clifford Chance Amsterdam. Her expertise includes advising on licensing and registration, governance, structure and organisation and other ongoing license requirements. She is frequently involved in corporate restructurings and M&A transactions including IPOs. She contributes to the implementation of EU financial regulatory law in Dutch national law.
Marian is a member of the Public Affairs Committee of INREV. She is ranked in the leading legal directories such as Chambers and Legal 500.
News and client work
- Payment for order flow (PFOF) - There is no such thing as a free lunch according to ESMA
26 July 2021
- Dutch registration regime for crypto service providers
26 May 2020
Career and qualifications
- University of Amsterdam (Dutch Law) 1991
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 1992
- NautaDutilh 1992
- Seconded to NautaDutilh New York office 1996
- Seconded to Slaughter and May London 1998
- Grotius (Post-graduate education for Dutch Securities Law specialists) 1998
- Seconded to ABN AMRO Amsterdam 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance as senior counsel 2012
- Member of the Public Affairs Committee of INREV
- Member of the Clifford Chance Global Fintech group
Awards and citations
- Clients laud Marian Scheele for offering "top-notch legal advice that takes into account the practical side of our matter." She assists clients with a range of transactional and regulatory matters relating to fund structuring and formation.
Chambers Europe 2020
- “In the Netherlands,” one satisfied customer said, “Scheele is the go-to person for tech startups and scaleups that need financial advice"
Chambers Fintech 2019
- "Her knowledge of EU and Dutch regulatory laws and assessment of expected developments is in my view unrivalled," said one client, adding: "She is extremely dedicated and strives for the highest quality."
Chambers Europe 2015
- Senior counsel Marian Scheele is described as "outstanding, very hard-working and easy to reach." Clients praise her work in AIFMD, general regulatory law and financial supervision, saying: "She is a real treasure as a legal adviser - she explains her advice very well."
Chambers Europe 2014