Guido Bergervoet specialises in commercial dispute resolution, with a focus on disputes in the financial sector and related regulatory enforcement.
He also has experience in insolvency related litigation and director's liability cases. Guido is part of the Academic Council of the Amsterdam office, holds a Ph.D from Radboud University Nijmegen and remains active as an author and speaker in the field of financing, security rights and insolvency. As a litigator he represents banking clients, financial investors and multinational corporations in complex disputes, often with a cross-border element.
- Advising a major global bank on its defence and communication with the regulator in relation to the alleged mis-selling of consumer loans with variable interest rates.
- Acting for an investment bank in a dispute arising out of a very large Dutch residential mortgage backed securities programme.
- Assisting in the defence against a claim for in excess of EUR800 million brought by a social housing association in relation to derivatives transactions it entered into with a major global bank.
- Successfully defending the parent company of the largest DIY retailer in the Benelux, in several litigation proceedings related to legacy (guarantee) issues in connection with the bankruptcy of Dutch iconic department store V&D.
View all news and client work featuring Guido Bergervoet
Career and qualifications
University of Groningen (Private Law) 2008
- Lecturer, Radboud University Nijmegen 2008
- Legal counsel, ING Bank 2008
- Radboud University Nijmegen (PhD) 2014
- Joined Clifford Chance Amsterdam 2014
- Admitted as an advocaat to the Dutch Bar 2014
- Counsel 2019
Member of the Academic Council in the Amsterdam office
Awards and citations
- “Guido Bergervoet is an outstanding litigator with good commercial sense. Able to grasp difficult matters at a very quick pace. If needed comes with out-of-the-box solutions, which can make all the difference in the case.”
Legal 500 2020