Sam Brown focuses on disputes in the energy, construction, engineering and technology sectors.
Sam specialises in International Commercial Arbitration and has represented clients in arbitrations seated in a number of jurisdictions, conducted both under institutional rules (ICC, LCIA, SCC, LMAA) and ad hoc arbitrations under UNCITRAL rules and domestic arbitration legislation. He has also represented clients in the English High Court, Court of Appeal and UK Supreme Court.
As well as acting for clients in formal dispute resolution proceedings, Sam also regularly provides advice on issues arising during the course of major construction and energy projects and assists clients with resolving disputes and claims at an early stage.
- Acting for a global engineering company in an arbitration (ICC rules, Paris seat) arising out of the construction of a gas fired power plant in Argentina.
- Acting for a major energy company in an arbitration (ad hoc, Nigeria seat) in connection with an expert determination of interests in an oil field subject to a unitisation agreement.
- Acting for a major energy company in English High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings in connection with disputes arising out of a very long-term gas sale agreement in respect of a UK gas field.
- Acting for a global engineering company in an arbitration (SCC rules, Stockholm seat) arising out of the construction of an oil shale fired power plant in Eastern Europe.
- Acting for a major energy company in an arbitration (ICC rules, Paris seat) arising out of a contract for the drilling and completion of oil wells in Iraq.
- Acting for a shipbuilder in an arbitration (LMAA rules, London seat) arising out of a contract for a semi-submersible drilling rig.
- Acting for a media entrepreneur in English High Court proceedings concerning the value of shares subject to a buy-out option in a share purchase agreement.
- Acting for an electronics and telecommunications company in an arbitration (ICC rules, London seat) in connection with the development of a national air traffic control system.
- Acting for a defence contractor in an arbitration (LCIA rules, London seat) concerning the termination of a UK Government national IT project.
- Acting for Olivier Bancoult and the Chagos Refugees Group in the long-running litigation between the Chagos Islanders and the UK Government (including in the UKSC in Bancoult No.3 ( 1 W.L.R. 973) and Bancoult No.4 ( A.C. 300), and the Court of Appeal in Bancoult No.5 (2020] EWCA Civ 1010)).
News and client work
- Arbitration agreements in the T&Cs of crypto-exchanges and NFT marketplaces: Do not assume one size fits all
14 October 2022
- Digital Asset Services: How do English Courts' new powers to order disclosure of information by foreign non parties impact on providers outside of England & Wales?
4 October 2022
Career and qualifications
- University of Oxford (BA, Jurisprudence) 2008
- College of Law (Legal Practice Certificate) 2009
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2012