Philip Lockwood brings his leadership experience and analytical abilities honed from 13 years of military service to his legal practice in a variety of cross-border regulatory arenas, including technology, economic sanctions, export controls, and anti-money laundering (AML) laws and regulations. He has a keen interest in technology, cybersecurity, and big data, including its intersection with digital advertising.
Philip is currently a Fellow at Georgetown University's Center on National Security and the Law. Prior to law school, Philip served on active duty with the Canadian Armed Forces, and he continues to serve as a reservist on exchange with the United States Army.
He is also passionate about veterans advocacy and co-founded the Clifford Chance Veterans & Affiliates (CliffVets) affinity group. While at Georgetown University, Philip served as the president of the Military Law Society, as well as founder and president of the National Federation of Law Student Veterans.
- Advising a prominent technology firm on the competition and consumer protection issues concerning data collection practices across Internet of Things, mobile, and desktop devices
- Advising a multinational firm on the impact of the GDPR on the collection and exchange of personal data for digital advertising purposes
- Representing a global corporation on the collection and processing of consumer data, the operation of advertiser- and publisher-facing advertising technology platforms, and on competition in the digital advertising industry.
- Representing a financial services firm in a sanctions investigation involving the Kingpin Act by preparing for and conducting interviews with key stakeholders and assisting in the drafting of a voluntary disclosure report to the US government
- Representing a global transportation and logistics firm in an OFAC investigation involving multiple countries by assisting on due diligence and document review
- Advising multiple financial institutions on US sanctions issues concerning a cross-border energy project
- Representing a financial services firm in an SEC investigation involving exchange-traded funds
FTC Task Force to Scrutinize Competition in Tech Industry
7 March 2019
Top 8 Tech Disputes and Enforcement Risks for 2019
11 February 2019
United States Imposes Sanctions on Venezuela State-Owned Oil Firm PdVSA
30 January 2019
US Congress Could Enact Sweeping Sanctions Bill Against Russia, Iran, and North Korea
27 July 2017
The US Responds to Iran's Missile Test with New Sanctions
6 February 2017
Career and qualifications
- Non-Commissioned Officer, Canadian Armed Forces 2005
- University of British Columbia (BMus) 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD) 2016