Patricia Barratt specialises in anti-bribery related matters, with a particular focus on compliance procedures.
Patricia was a member of the CBI and the ICC working groups on the Bribery Bill as it went through Parliament, gave evidence to the OECD and the UN working group peer reviews of UK anti-bribery laws in 2012, and participates in the World Bank's 'Partnering against Corruption Initiative'.
- A six-month secondment at a global bank assisting with an ABC remediation programme as part of the requirements of a deferred prosecution agreement under the Bribery Act.
- A three-month secondment to a major U.S. bank, with responsibility for anti-bribery and corruption compliance in EMEA. This role included assisting with an AML/CTF and sanctions risk assessment.
- Performing an anti-bribery gap analysis for a major UK-based bank with strong interests in emerging markets.
- Reviewing the procurement procedures of two large Russian shopping centres.
- Reviewing and assessing the anti-bribery controls of a global pulp and paper manufacturer and delivering training.
- Advising a major healthcare company on its Code of Conduct, including ABC, AML and sanctions issues.
- Carrying out numerous anti-bribery/financial crime due diligence exercises in the context of corporate acquisitions.
- Conducting an anti-bribery risk assessment for an international hotel chain and continuing to advise on ad hoc queries.
- Carrying out an anti-bribery risk assessment of the European subsidiaries of a global drinks company, entailing interviews with senior officers, reviews of policies and procedures, and written reports.
- Reviewing anti-bribery policies and procedures of an international energy company and delivering training.
- Advising Transparency International on legal issues arising from its guidance on adequate procedures under the Bribery Act.
Clifford Chance advises Mitsubishi Corporation and Chubu on EUR 4.1 billion acquisition of Eneco
26 November 2019
- Patricia co-wrote the chapter on ‘Adequate Procedures’ in the 2014 edition of Lissack and Horlick on Bribery (LexisNexis, ISBN 9781405791144).
- Patricia is the co-author of The Law on Political Donations, published in November 2012.
- Patricia contributed several chapters to the Law Society's 'Freedom of Information Handbook" (3rd Edition, 2012), and is on the Editorial board of the Freedom of Information Journal.
- Patricia co-edited and contributed to all editions of the Clifford Chance Anti-Bribery and Corruption Review (most recent edition, June 2017)
- Patricia edited the Clifford Chance Global Anti-Corruption Legislation (latest edition, 2015)
UK election law: How are businesses restricted during the 2019 general election campaign?
4 November 2019
An international guide to anti-corruption legislation
1 March 2019
Anti-Bribery and Corruption Review - June 2018
21 June 2018
First contested prosecution for failure to prevent bribery: Jury rejects 'adequate procedures' defence
12 March 2018
Anti-Bribery and Corruption Review - June 2017
1 June 2017
Career and qualifications
- Jesus College, Cambridge (BA, Classics) 1984
- College of Law, Chancery Lane (Common Professional Examination) 1988
- College of Law, Chancery Lane (Law Society Finals) 1989
- Joined Clifford Chance 1989
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1991
- Appointed Director of Anti-Bribery Compliance 2014