Nick Spurrell specialises in private M&A, joint ventures and strategic projects, advising large corporates, financial services groups and financial investors.
Nick has had a particular focus on regulated industries and real assets but has experience in a range of sectors. He has advised on disposals, acquisitions, demergers, investments and joint ventures in the UK, Europe and emerging markets globally and has over US$33bn closed deal experience. He also regularly advises clients on strategic projects and corporate governance matters. Having trained at Clifford Chance, Nick has previously been seconded to our São Paulo office, where he was individually ranked in Chambers & Partners ("Associate to Watch", Latin America, 2014). He has also been seconded to a Fortune 500 client as an executive counsel.
- Clifford Chance advises Shell on its pioneering joint venture with Cosan S.A. to form Raízen, one of Brazil's top five corporations by revenue, one of the largest fuel distributors in Brazil and a world leader in biofuels
- Clifford Chance advises a Citi investment company, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and a Black River investment fund on their disposal of pioneering wind energy producer SIIF to Brazilian power company CPFL Energias
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- London School of Economics (BSc Government) 2005
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2009
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB–São Paulo) as a Foreign Legal Consultant 2011
Awards and citations
- Nick Spurrell was recently ranked as an Associate to Watch by Chambers "following consistently positive reviews".
Chambers Latin America 2014