Marianne Toghill specialises in construction law with particular experience of drafting and negotiating building contracts, consultants appointments and development management agreements. Marianne has worked on a number of projects including large commercial office schemes, retail parks, hotels, residential developments and data centres acting for property developers, funders and occupiers.
Marianne is a regular speaker at client seminars and contributor to industry publications.
- Battersea Power Station Development Company on all construction aspects of the 39 acre Battersea Power Station site, including the redevelopment of the listed power station building into a mixed-use scheme, with construction costs on the first three phases alone over £3 billion.
- Native Land on the development of a new mixed use residential led quarter at Bankside, London, including re-development of Ludgate House
- Helical Bar on its major office developments in London, including Creechurch Place, Old Street, Bunhill Row, Barts Square, and Charterhouse Square
- Canary Wharf on various construction aspects of the estate including, the Crossrail Station retail financing
Clifford Chance advises joint venture between Helical plc and Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan on hat-trick of lettings at Creechurch Place, London
12 October 2018
Clifford Chance advises Helical plc and AshbyCapital on the major pre-let of One Bartholomew, London
12 July 2018
Clifford Chance advises TH Real Estate on the pre-let of 70 St Mary Axe in the City of London
20 June 2018
- RealTime: WeWork – a new approach to construction and design? Part 2
21 November 2018
- RealTime: WeWork – a new approach to construction and design? Part 1
8 November 2018
Decentralised Energy Networks (Heat and Electricity) serving Real Estate Developments
6 November 2017
Developing Decentralised Energy Systems for Urban Real Estate Schemes
6 November 2017
Is construction management right for your project?
27 March 2017
Development around railway infrastructure - Mind the gap!
6 March 2017
CDM Regulations overhaul: a healthy change?
11 May 2015
BIM: Coming To A Project Near You
14 November 2012
Changes to the Construction Act 1 October 2011, are you ready?
25 August 2011
Career and qualifications
- St Hugh's College, Oxford (BA, Geography) 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1995
- Director in the Construction Group 2006
- Member of TeCSA
Awards and citations
- Real estate development specialist Marianne Toghill has a prominent non-contentious practice that regularly sees her advising on major urban regeneration and new communities projects. One client enthuses: "She's incredibly intelligent, great at negotiations and manages to combine commercial sense with the legal issues."
Chambers & Partners UK 2017
- Marianne Toghill has a strong non-contentious practice in the urban regeneration and real estate sectors. One client remarks: "She has a calm, sensible and methodological approach in dealing with contract law and people on the other side."
Chambers & Partners UK 2016
- Marianne Toghill is praised by sources for her knowledge. She acts on non-contentious issues and has significant experience in handling development management agreements and building contracts
Chambers & Partners UK 2015