Marianne Toghill specialises in construction law with particular experience in relation to urban regeneration, major real estate development, data centres, over station developments and corporate occupier headquarters work. Marianne's expertise includes the drafting and negotiating building contracts, consultants appointments and development management agreements.
Marianne has worked on a number of projects including large high profile mixed use and commercial office schemes, residential developments, private hospitals, hotels, and data centres, acting for property developers, funders and occupiers.
Marianne is also regular speaker at client seminars and contributor to industry publications.
- Battersea Power Station Development Company on all construction aspects of the 39 acre Battersea Power Station site, including the redevelopment of the listed power station building into a mixed-use office led scheme pre-let to Apple , with construction costs on the first three phases alone over £3 billion
- Native Land on the development of a nine building new mixed use quarter at Bankside, London, which includes the re-development of Ludgate House and Sampson House
- Helical plc on its major office and residential developments in London, including Creechurch Place, Old Street, Bunhill Row, Barts Square, Farringdon East and Charterhouse
- Country Garden, a major Chinese housebuilder, on its first London residential project at Alisa Wharf
- JTRE on its first large development in the UK, Triptych Bankside
- e-shelter on the construction of the largest data centre development in UK history
- Nuveen on the construction of skyscraper 70 St Mary Axe aka the Can of Ham by Mace
Clifford Chance Construction Group advises its long standing client Battersea Phase 3 Holding Company Limited
16 September 2019
Clifford Chance advises Native Land on South Kensington Underground Station Development Project
13 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises Helical and AshbyCapital on acquisition of major development project in Farringdon
21 May 2019
Clifford Chance advises Helical plc and AshbyCapital on letting to Chicago Booth School of Business
3 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises joint venture between Helical plc and Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan on hat-trick of lettings at Creechurch Place, London
12 October 2018
Clifford Chance advises Helical plc and AshbyCapital on the major pre-let of One Bartholomew, London
12 July 2018
Clifford Chance advises TH Real Estate on the pre-let of 70 St Mary Axe in the City of London
20 June 2018
Clifford Chance advises CK Asset Holdings on the £1 billion acquisition of 5 Broadgate, London
15 June 2018
Clifford Chance advises Sadler's Wells Foundation on the development and pre-letting of a new dance theatre
15 June 2018
Clifford Chance advises Helical plc on the acquisition and development of the over-station development at Farringdon East Crossrail station, London
10 May 2018
Clifford Chance advises on over £1billion construction project at Phase 3 of Battersea Power Station development
30 May 2017
Clifford Chance advises Battersea Power Station Development Company on one of London’s most important and iconic urban regeneration projects
26 January 2017
Clifford Chance advises Helical Bar plc joint venture on the sale and forward funding of One Bartholomew Close, London, EC1
14 August 2015
Clifford Chance advises Deloitte on major pre let of 1 New Street Square
30 March 2015
Clifford Chance advises Helical Bar plc on the development joint venture and forward funding of Creechurch Place
7 May 2014
Clifford Chance advises GIC on the purchase of 50% interest in Broadgate
8 January 2014
Clifford Chance advises RREEF Investment GmbH's joint venture on One Angel Square, Manchester
13 February 2013
Clifford Chance advises Eurohypo on innovative structure for debt workout of Bevis Marks scheme
23 November 2011
- RealTime: Battersea Power Station – Powering Up
24 January 2019
- RealTime: WeWork – a new approach to construction and design? (Part 2)
21 November 2018
- RealTime: WeWork – a new approach to construction and design? (Part 1)
8 November 2018
Career and qualifications
- St Hugh's College (BA) 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1995
- Director in the Construction Group 2006
- Head of UK Real Estate Construction 2016
- Member of TeCSA
Awards and citations
- Featured in The Lawyer Hot 100 List 2020
- Ranked as a Notable Practitioner for Real estate acquisitions
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners UK for Construction: Purchaser 2020
- 'Very good' lawyer Marianne Toghill is head of the firm’s real estate construction group and is especially adept at advising on real estate development work, routinely acting on behalf of purchaser-side clients.
Chambers & Partners UK 2020
- The 'trusted and confident' Marianne Toghill heads up the UK real estate construction offering, while Sandy Hall is another key member of the team, with a particular focus on oil and gas, mining and energy projects.
Chambers & Partners UK 2020
- 'Marianne Toghill is trusted, confident, knowledgeable and responsive'.
Legal 500 UK 2020
- Marianne Toghill is highly sought after by clients, who say:'She got to know our business extremely well so knows exactly what we are after' adding: 'It is always an enjoyable experience to work with her'.
Chambers & Partners UK 2019
- Marianne Toghill is ‘an absolute expert: calm during negotiations, very knowledgeable about the UK development market and ready to assist on new and complicated matters'.
Legal 500 UK 2019
- The 'trusted and confident' Marianne Toghill heads up the UK real estate construction offering.
Legal 500 UK 2019
- Transactional specialist Marianne Toghill enjoys a strong reputation for her representation of purchaser-side clients. She advises on the construction elements of real estate development projects, including new communities projects and urban regenerations.
Chambers & Partners UK 2018
- Marianne Toghill is 'an absolute expert: calm during negotiations, very knowledgeable about the UK development market and ready to assist on new and complicated matters'.
Legal 500 UK 2018
- ‘Absolute expert’ Marianne Toghill is leading on construction work for Battersea Power Station Land Company in relation to the redevelopment of Battersea power station, and is also acting for Helical on a mixed-use development at Barts Square.
Legal 500 UK 2017
- Real estate development specialist Marianne Toghill has a prominent non-contentious practice that regularly sees her advising on major urban regeneration and new communities projects. One client enthuses: 'She's incredibly intelligent, great at negotiations and manages to combine commercial sense with the legal issues'.
Chambers & Partners UK 2017
- Marianne Toghill has a strong non-contentious practice in the urban regeneration and real estate sectors. One client remarks: 'She has a calm, sensible and methodological approach in dealing with contract law and people on the other side'.
Chambers & Partners UK 2016
- Marianne Toghill is praised by sources for her knowledge. She acts on non-contentious issues and has significant experience in handling development management agreements and building contracts.
Chambers & Partners UK 2015
- 'Impressive practitioner' Marianne Toghill is valued by clients for being 'straightforward, approachable and knowledgeable in the sector'. She acted on the Battersea Power Station project.
Chambers & Partners UK 2014
- Marianne Toghill wins strong praise from clients, who admire her hands-on manner and commercial understanding. Sources also note that 'it is to her advantage that she works for both contractors and clients and so sees both sides of the coin'.
Chambers & Partners UK 2012