Joachim Fleury has over 25 years of experience in M&A, partnerships and joint ventures, in particular in the communications and technology industry.
Joachim is Head of the Telecommunications, Media & Technology (TMT) practice.
Joachim is a director of several charities in the performing arts world, including Sadler's Wells in London and the Holland Festival in the Netherlands.
- Deutsche Telekom AG and T-Mobile on the merging of their business with Orange plc (a unit of France Telecom) in the deal that created Everything Everywhere, the UK’s largest mobile operator with sales of GBP£8.2 billion and 28.4 million customers
- TeliaSonera on the increase in TeliaSonera's stake in Kazakhstan's leading mobile phone company (doing business as Kcell) to 75%, and the listing of 25% of Kcell on the Kazakhstan and London stock exchanges
- A consortium of six private equity houses in relation to the successful public bid for VNU N.V. (since renamed into The Nielsen Company), for USD$10.5 billion in 2006 and on the Initial Public Offering of Shares in Nielsen Holdings N.V.
- A consortium of Mediaset, Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Cyrte Investments on the acquisition of Endemol, the world’s largest independent television production company, by a combination of a private acquisition of 75% of the company from Telefónica and a public offer for the remaining shares, followed by various reorganisations and debt restructurings.
Clifford Chance advises Tele2 Group on the merger of its Dutch business with Deutsche Telekom's Dutch business
10 January 2018
Clifford Chance advises Nielsen on redomiciliation to the UK by way of innovative European cross-border merger
7 September 2015
Clifford Chance advises Deutsche Telekom on the sale, together with Orange, of mobile operator EE to BT for £12.5 billion in cash and shares
9 February 2015
Clifford Chance advises major media and telecoms groups on joint ventures to develop online classifieds platforms
17 November 2014
Clifford Chance advises sellers Providence Equity Partners and Airbridge in sale of majority stake in CDS Topco B.V. to Astorg Partners
15 August 2014
Dutch tax reforms - impact on US multinationals
19 October 2017
African Telecoms Client Newsletter Dec 2016 to Feb 2017
20 March 2017
Hot topic briefing - 'Insurtech'
9 January 2017
African Telecoms Newsletter October 2016
14 October 2016
European Commission clears WIND and Hutchison joint venture in Italy
15 September 2016
Career and qualifications
- University of Amsterdam (Law) 1984
- Joined Clifford Chance, London 1984
- Clifford Chance, Amsterdam 1985
- Clifford Chance, New York 1990
- Partner 1992-2018
- Clifford Chance, Amsterdam 1992
- Clifford Chance, London since 2001
- Consultant since 2018
Awards and citations
- Clients report that Joachim Fleury is "to the point and extremely commercial," adding: "He can turn around high-quality work very quickly and is not scared of complex challenges."
Chambers UK 2019 – Telecommunications
- Joachim Fleury heads the firm's TMT practice and is especially skilled in M&A, joint ventures and partnerships in the telecoms sector. A client says: "Straight-talking and technically very strong, he did a great job under huge pressure."
- Chambers UK 2018 - Telecommunications
- TMT practice head Joachim Fleury is a key name for technology and communications transactions; he has historically advised Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile on the merging of their business with Orange.
Legal 500 UK 2017 - IT and Telecoms
- Joachim Fleury heads the firm's Global Communications, Media & Technology practice and is a top choice for international M&A transactions in this sector. He has particular expertise in transactions concerning the Netherlands.
- London-based Joachim Fleury heads the firm's international communications, media and technology practice, and is a top choice for international M&A transactions in this sector.