Joachim Fleury has over 25 years of experience in M&A, partnerships and joint ventures, in particular in the communications and technology industry.
Joachim is Head of the Telecommunications, Media & Technology (TMT) practice.
Joachim is a director of several charities in the performing arts world, including Sadler's Wells in London and the Holland Festival in the Netherlands.
- Deutsche Telekom AG and T-Mobile on the merging of their business with Orange plc (a unit of France Telecom) in the deal that created Everything Everywhere, the UK’s largest mobile operator with sales of GBP£8.2 billion and 28.4 million customers
- TeliaSonera on the increase in TeliaSonera's stake in Kazakhstan's leading mobile phone company (doing business as Kcell) to 75%, and the listing of 25% of Kcell on the Kazakhstan and London stock exchanges
- A consortium of six private equity houses in relation to the successful public bid for VNU N.V. (since renamed into The Nielsen Company), for USD$10.5 billion in 2006 and on the Initial Public Offering of Shares in Nielsen Holdings N.V.
- A consortium of Mediaset, Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Cyrte Investments on the acquisition of Endemol, the world’s largest independent television production company, by a combination of a private acquisition of 75% of the company from Telefónica and a public offer for the remaining shares, followed by various reorganisations and debt restructurings.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Amsterdam (Law) 1984
- Joined Clifford Chance, London 1984
- Clifford Chance, Amsterdam 1985
- Clifford Chance, New York 1990
- Partner 1992-2018
- Clifford Chance, Amsterdam 1992
- Clifford Chance, London since 2001
- Consultant since 2018
Awards and citations
- "Joachim Fleury commands long-standing expertise in transactions in the telecoms field. He is considered by market sources to be particularly adept at advising clients on competition and commercial matters."
Chambers UK 2020 – Telecommunications
- 'Consultant Joachim Fleury is very experienced and has deep knowledge of the industry. He is a good negotiator and a pragmatic problem solver.'
Legal 500 UK 2020 – IT and Telecoms
- Clients report that Joachim Fleury is "to the point and extremely commercial," adding: "He can turn around high-quality work very quickly and is not scared of complex challenges."
Chambers UK 2019 – Telecommunications
- Joachim Fleury heads the firm's TMT practice and is especially skilled in M&A, joint ventures and partnerships in the telecoms sector. A client says: "Straight-talking and technically very strong, he did a great job under huge pressure."
- Chambers UK 2018 - Telecommunications
- TMT practice head Joachim Fleury is a key name for technology and communications transactions; he has historically advised Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile on the merging of their business with Orange.
Legal 500 UK 2017 - IT and Telecoms
- Joachim Fleury heads the firm's Global Communications, Media & Technology practice and is a top choice for international M&A transactions in this sector. He has particular expertise in transactions concerning the Netherlands.
- London-based Joachim Fleury heads the firm's international communications, media and technology practice, and is a top choice for international M&A transactions in this sector.