James Cranston is experienced in a broad range of litigation, arbitration and investigatory matters, including commercial contract disputes, company law disputes and white collar crime matters.
James works particularly with clients in the financial services, sports and defence sectors.
- Acting for a shareholder in an English football club in relation to the under-payment of income owed under a joint venture agreement to finance the construction of one of the stands at the Club's stadium. The case resulted in a six figure payment to our client pending an account of the profit due. Citation:  EWHC 339 (QB)
- Acting for a shareholder in an English football club in an unfair prejudice petition. The case related to numerous multi million pound payments that were made to the majority shareholder and its directors, following the Club's promotion to the Premier League. The Court ordered a buyout of the petitioner's shares for over £31 million, after finding a "gentleman's agreement" entitled the Petitioner to be treated as an equal shareholder. Citation:  EWHC 2767 (Ch)
- Advising a US Defence Contractor in a multimillion pound dispute with a UK Government entity, arising from the termination of an IT contract
- Advising two individuals in relation to numerous applications to the European Court of Human Rights, following their prosecution by a former Soviet State
- Advising a professional sports team in relation to an anti-doping matter
- Advising a tennis player in relation to an anti-doping violation
- Advising a director of a global supermarket chain in relation to an SFO investigation
- Representing a major financial institution on the SFO’s investigation into alleged LIBOR manipulation
- Successfully acting for a US defence contractor in arbitration proceedings with a UK Government entity over the termination of a US$1 billion IT project
- Seconded to the Investment Banking Division of a major international bank
- Home Office ordered to pay Clifford Chance client Raytheon £224m
Clifford Chance secures victory for Blackpool FC President in landmark dispute
6 November 2017
Career and qualifications
- University of Nottingham (BA, History) 2007
- Joined Clifford Chance 2009
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2011
- James is a member of the LCIA’s Young International Arbitration Group, the Junior London Solicitors’ Litigation Association and the Young Fraud Lawyers' Association.
Awards and citations
- "Senior associate James Cranston goes above and beyond to provide a great client service"
The Legal 500 2019: Sport
- James Cranston is “an outstanding senior associate”.
The Legal 500 2018: Commercial litigation
- James Cranston is “brainy, hardworking”, “always in command of the detail” and “a joy to work with”.
The Legal 500 2018: Sport