Christina Cathey Schuetz advises on a wide range of commercial and investment treaty arbitration matters and is also experienced in transnational and English High Court litigation and regulatory/anti-corruption compliance matters.
In 2011-2012 Christina was seconded to Clifford Chance CIS Limited (Moscow). Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Christina worked for another major international law firm in New York City and Frankfurt am Main.
- Counsel in LCIA Rules, English-law, London-seated arbitration concerning joint venture dispute in relation to Russian textiles company and solicitor in four related litigations before the English High Court.
- Counsel in UNCITRAL Rules, Hague-seated investment arbitration concerning the expropriation of certain real property interests in a Central European State.
- Counsel in 12 LCIA Rules, English-law, London-seated parallel arbitrations concerning issues relating to Joint Implementation (Kyoto Protocol) contracts.
- Counsel in ICC Rules, English-law, London-seated arbitration concerning a share sale transaction in the electricity sector in a southeast Asian State, and witness cross-examined in subsequent enforcement proceedings in Thailand.
- Counsel in UNCITRAL Rules, Paris-seated investment arbitration concerning an investment in the banking sector in a CIS State.
- Counsel in SCC Rules, ECT investment arbitration concerning an investment in the oil industry in a Central European State.
- Counsel in ICSID ECT investment arbitration concerning an investment in the electricity sector in a Central European State.
- Counsel in ICSID ECT investment arbitration concerning an investment in the oil industry in an East European State.
- Counsel in ICC Rules, Austrian-law, Vienna-seated arbitration concerning an investment in a Central European steel mill.
- Counsel in ICC Rules, Polish-law, Warsaw-seated arbitration concerning construction of a motorway.
- Co-counsel in State-court action to enforce an ICC-Rules, Paris-seated arbitral award in the People’s Republic of China in connection with a joint-venture dispute in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Member of the interim Chief Compliance Office of Nokia Siemens Networks; review and implementation of Compliance policies and training; whistleblower investigations in a number of jurisdictions worldwide.
News and client work
- "Russische Föderation" [Russian Federation] in Konfliktmanagement im internationalen Rechtsverkehr: Prozesse vermeiden, Prozesse vorbereiten, Prozesse führen [Conflict Management in International Legal Relations], (Johannes Landbrecht and Simon Gabriel, eds., Stämpfli Verlag, 2017).
- Scriptwriter for Mock Arbitration, ITA workshop, Dallas, Texas, June 2013
- "Добросовестное исполнение договоров по Нью-Йоркскому и английскому праву" [Good faith performance of contracts under New York and English law], Legal Insight, 8 March 2013
- "Is the ICSID Annulment Mechanism Broken and Could It Be Improved?," 3 Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law (Ian A. Laird and Todd J. Weiler, eds, 2010)
- "The Effects of General Principles of Law," Comparative Law Yearbook of International Business, Special Issue on Arbitration (2009)
Career and qualifications
- Associate, Shearman & Sterling LLP 2007
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2009
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2012
- Higher Rights of Audience (Civil) 2013
- CILS Congress of Fellows
- ICDR Y&I
- Russian and CIS Arbitration Network (founder and former Secretary)