Carla Lewis specialises in international arbitration and public international law, with a particular focus on EU and UK restrictive measures and international environmental law.
Carla's work covers both international arbitrations conducted under the rules of the major institutions (e.g. LCIA, ICC and SIAC) and High Court litigation, as well as transaction support and risk management. Carla regularly advises clients on the potential sanctions risks entailed in proposed transactions, drafting suitable contractual protections, sanctions policies, and liaising with relevant competent authorities (where necessary).
Carla has represented a variety of governmental, non-governmental, corporate and individual clients, including conducting and coordinating the Firm's largest pro bono project to date on behalf of the UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights and the Environment, for which the Firm's work was recognised for its contribution to the development of international environmental law by the Cyrus. R Vance Center for International Law. Carla is also the associate lead of our Climate Change Litigation team, and advises clients on Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) risk management.
Carla is admitted as a Solicitor-Advocate in England and Wales. She also supports the Firm's pro bono partnerships with the Royal Courts of Justice Citizens Advice Bureau and National Autistic Society.
- Conducting and co-ordinating a global survey concerning the extent to which the right to a healthy environment is enshrined in the domestic laws of each UN Member State on behalf of Dr David Boyd, the UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights and the Environment
- Advising a global commodity trader concerning the potential EU sanctions implications of proposed oil contracts to be concluded with a Russian state-owned company
- Advising a multinational integrated oil & gas company regarding potential EU sanctions implications of an offshore natural gas pipeline
- Representing a company in connection with claims brought against a former employee in Russia in relation to fraud, breach of economic sanctions and the breach of a loan agreement
- Advising a multinational integrated oil & gas company in relation to the construction of an oil pipeline in Africa, advising on issues of public international law for the purposes of investment planning and the negotiation of intergovernmental and host state agreements.
- Representing a Zambian investment company and shareholder in a US$140 million claim against the operating company (and ultimate parent company) relating to mining projects in Zambia
- Advising an international company concerning potential GATT claims relating to pricing and taxation regulations implemented by an African country
- Advising a company engaged in sustainable energy projects in Africa concerning potential claims by and against the host Government
- Advising an international hospitality chain concerning contracts concluded with a designated entity affected by EU restrictive measures, advising on interactions with three competent authorities
- Advising an international clearing house concerning the potential EU sanctions implications of a proposed government bond issuance
- Advising an investment company in twelve parallel claims against State-owned companies concerning carbon emissions reduction projects in Russia
- Advising various international corporate and financial entities concerning their EU and UK restrictive measures compliance obligations
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Université de Paris II Panthéon-Assas (Certificat Superieur de Droit Français) 2007
- Magdalen College, Oxford (BA, Law with French Law) 2008
- New York University (LLM, International Legal Studies) 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance 2010
- Worked in Clifford Chance's Dubai office 2011
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2012
- Obtained Higher Rights of Audience 2014
- Seconded to the Litigation, Investigations and Enforcement Team of a global bank in Singapore 2014
- Worked in Clifford Chance's Singapore office 2015
- LCIA/CIArb Tribunal Secretaries Course 2016
- Senior Associate since 2017
- Young Public International Law Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
Awards and citations
- Recognised by the Cyrus R. Vance Center for contribution to international environmental law