Andrew Yianni heads the firm's Sovereign Debt Restructuring Group and is an industry expert in sovereign related work, having been the lead partner on a number of the most high profile, sensitive and innovative sovereign debt arrangements.
Clients include sovereigns, central banks, international commercial and investment banks, international financial institutions and multinational corporations. In particular, Andrew has extensive Transactional Experience in sovereign restructurings and heads the firm's Sovereign Restructuring Group.
Andrew is frequently asked to give lectures and participate in panel discussions in the sovereign advisory field.
- Andrew has advised Central Banks and the legal department of the International Monetary Fund, including on the proposed Sovereign Debt Restructuring Mechanism
- Andrew advised the International Monetary Fund on its 2009/2010 Gold Sales Programme
- assisting governments in relation to legislation in the context of Highly Indebted Poor Countries
- acting on the inaugural longevity swap using the Life Metrics index
- acting on all hybrid capital raisings for the Standard Life group, including the associated consent solicitations required in connection with Standard Life's demutualisation
- acting for all the main financial institution providers of regulatory capital to members of the Society of Lloyds
- acting on structured longevity risk transfer transactions for life companies
Andrew has also taken the lead role on:
- sales programmes of sovereign assets, including London Club, Paris Club and trade debt claims
- a variety of debt conversion transactions (including conversion funds) involving external bank debt in a variety of Central European, African and Latin American countries
- securitisation of trade debts, a variety of other assets and the establishment of multi seller conduit programmes
- corporate debt re-profilings (including conversion of debt techniques)
- advising on a broad range of financial work including project finance, corporate finance, financial regulation, trade finance, straight lending, lending funded (or risk ameliorated) through credit linked notes, asset based and secured financing techniques
Le cabinet Clifford Chance conseille le Mécanisme Européen de Stabilité et le Fonds Européen de Stabilité Financière dans la résolution de la crise de l'Euro
25 February 2013
Strategic role for Clifford Chance in Euro debt crisis resolution
25 February 2013
Andrew has published widely in this field, including:
- International Financial Law Review ("IFLR") December 1987 "Using negotiable securities in Sovereign Debt Rescheduling"
- IFLR September 1988 "Are there solutions to the debt problem?"
- Boston University School of Law Annual Review of Banking Law (Vol. 10) 1991 (a) "Parity of Treatment" (b) "Implications of the Brady Initiative on the Process of Rescheduling"
- IFLR August 1992 "Debt Crisis in Central and Eastern Europe"
- Bank of England, Financial Stability Review (June 1999) "Resolution of Sovereign Financial Crises - Evolution of the Private Sector Restructuring Process"
- Central Banking (Quarterly Journal) Volume XII, February 2002 "Proposed New Approach to Sovereign Debt Restructuring"
- North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation Summer 2007 "Is there a recognised Legal Doctrine of Odious Debts?"
- "The Return of Capital Controls?" Law & Contemporary Problems Duke University School of Law (Fall 2010)
- "Seychelles Debt Restructuring: Restoring the Viability of the Public Finances" Journal of International Banking Law (June 2010).
Venezuela – navigating the storm
12 January 2018
The status of multilateral financial institutions in English law
1 June 2017
Sovereign pari passu clauses: lost rights or last rites?
13 February 2017
Creditor engagement in sovereign debt restructuring
6 April 2016
New ICMA sovereign collective action and pari passu clauses
6 October 2014
Career and qualifications
- Joined Clifford Chance 1984
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1986
- Partner 1993 - 2014
- The ICMA Sovereign bonds working group
- The International Law Association Sovereign Insolvency Study Group
- The firm's opinions committee