Sébastien Praicheux specialises in banking and financial regulatory, especially in the area of derivatives, clearing and market infrastructures. He advises clients (banks, investment firms, corporates, asset managers, fintech, insurers, etc.) on financial regulatory issues, relating to investment advice, asset management, payment services and banking.
Sébastien is also a recognised leader in the field of current banking reforms such as EMIR, MiFID2, CRD IV, Banking crisis resolution, etc.
- LCH.Clearnet Group: CDS Client Clearing Project and EMIR implementation
- Asset Managers, banks, insurers and corporates in the implementation of EMIR and negotiation of Derivatives Client Clearing Agreements
- The Futures and Options Association (FOA) in respect of French legal opinions on derivatives and clearing
- Banks and corporate (Europe and US) on banking and financial regulation
- Société Générale in the regulatory aspects of the purchase of the shares of Crédit Agricole in Newedge.
- A major international bank on the French banking and financial law issued related to the implementation of FATCA Regulations.
Clifford Chance advises Swedbank for its strategic partnership with Kepler Cheuvreux
6 July 2017
Clifford Chance advises CACEIS for the restructuring of its European activities
18 May 2017
Clifford Chance advises Rabobank on its strategic partnership with Kepler Cheuvreux
11 July 2016
Clifford Chance sur l’opération publique de titrisation de prêts immobiliers aux particuliers ("RMBS") en France de Crédit Foncier
14 October 2015
Clifford Chance advises EOS Venture on the creation of the first crowd-equity platform in France to be approved as an investment services provider
2 April 2015
- Collateral on Financial Markets / Les sûretés sur les marches financiers (published at Banque éditeur) 2000
France getting ready for a 'no deal' Brexit
15 November 2018
Implementation of the EU's Fifth Money Laundering Directive
16 July 2018
France pioneers blockchain legal framework for unlisted securities
11 January 2018
French enthusiasm for crowdfunding
26 June 2017
Smart Contracts - Legal Agreements for the Digital Age
22 June 2017
Career and qualifications
- University of Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas Phd (Doctorate in Private Law and Banking Law) 2000
- Newedge – Head of Legal France 2004
- Crédit Agricole CIB – Senior In-House Counsel – Securitization and Financing 2008
- Crédit Agricole CIB – Head of Legal Practice 2012
- Joined Clifford Chance 2012
- Counsel since 2014
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance is especially active in high-profile restructuring matters, while also shouldering a busy workload in the fintech sector. Mandates related to issues stemming from the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive II (MiFID II) also provide a steady flow of instructions. In addition, practice head Frédérick Lacroix regularly advises on Brexit-related matters. Counsel Sébastien Praicheux is also noted. Clients include Caceis, World Bank and Bank of America Merrill Lynch."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Banking & Finance: Bank Regulatory, 2019
- Named as "Next Generation" Lawyer
Legal 500 France, Banking & Finance: Bank Regulatory, 2018
- "Clifford Chance is ‘a top-level’ practice specialising in assisting corporates and financial institutions with the regulatory facets of M&A and restructuring transactions, but is also experienced in advising public entities, including governments and international institutions, on legislative projects. The team also engages in lobbying work. Frédérick Lacroix heads the practice, with key support coming from counsel Sébastien Praicheux, whose areas of strength include Fintech-related mandates and insurance regulations. The pair handled a number of domestic and cross-border matters, such as advising Caceis on the restructuring of its European activities through mergers of the Luxembourg and Germany branches into Caceis France, which involved affiliates and branches in eight jurisdictions. Other work includes acting for BNP Paribas in lobbying the French government to amend the law relating to the hierarchy of creditors in insolvency. Other clients include the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, FIA Europe and AXA Partners."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Banking & Finance: Bank Regulatory, 2018
- "Clifford Chance provides ‘very professional, timely and to-the-point advice’. Headed by Frédérick Lacroix, the seven-lawyer team assists banks and financial institutions with regulatory matters, including in the context of M&A and restructuring. The practice assisted GE Capital with GE’s exit from the financial services sector and its sale of GE Corporate Finance Bank SCA. Counsel Sébastien Praicheux is another name to note."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Banking & Finance: Bank Regulatory, 2017