Louis-Alexis Bret specialises in international arbitration. He has extensive experience acting as counsel in both commercial and investment treaty arbitration proceedings.
He is particularly experienced in disputes concerning the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors, but his expertise also spans a wide range of other industries, including aerospace, defence and technology.
His experience covers numerous arbitral institutions, governing laws and seats of arbitration. He regularly represents parties in arbitration proceedings arising under bilateral investment treaties and international trade and investment agreements. In recent years his practice has focused extensively on disputes with a connection to Africa.
Louis-Alexis also advises natural resources companies in connection with their investments abroad and in negotiations with sovereign States. He writes frequently on international arbitration, with a particular emphasis on energy and mining disputes.
Prior to joining Clifford Chance, Louis-Alexis practiced in Houston, New York and Paris.
Louis-Alexis is a member of our global Trade and Investment Risk team.
- Co-editor, with Jason Fry, of The Guide to Mining Arbitrations (GAR, 2019)
- Co-author of a monograph on The Arbitration of International Mining Disputes (OUP, 2017)
Limitations on the Scope of Investor-State Dispute Settlement under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement
29 October 2018
Infrastructure: 21st Century Challenges - A legal perspective
29 October 2018
European Court of Justice rules on investor-State arbitration under an intra-EU BIT
9 March 2018
Career and qualifications
- Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Maîtrise and D.E.A.)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M)
- Director of the New York Chapter of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators 2013 - 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance 2017
- Member of the New York Bar
Awards and citations
- Listed as a Future Leader of international arbitration
Who's Who Legal 2019